1954 Fargo Clutch Linkage

allanp

Hoping you can help.  i'm not having any luck finding a diagram online.

Have a 1954 half ton and I have reinstalled the motor and trans.  The clutch linkage seems to hit the cross member in a position that would actually apply the throw out bearing.  The flat spot on the shaft points straight down when the throw out bearing is close to the clutch fingers.  I hope this makes sense.  Does someone have pictures of the linkage and shaft? or what am I doing wrong?

15 hours ago, allanp said:

Hoping you can help.  i'm not having any luck finding a diagram online.

Have a 1954 half ton and I have reinstalled the motor and trans.  The clutch linkage seems to hit the cross member in a position that would actually apply the throw out bearing.  The flat spot on the shaft points straight down when the throw out bearing is close to the clutch fingers.  I hope this makes sense.  Does someone have pictures of the linkage and shaft? or what am I doing wrong?

See what I can do

Thank you 55 fargo. looks the same but  I don't get enough travel.  that drop bracket hits the cross member before the throw out bearing meets the clutch.  is there possible something wrong with my throw out bearing and fork assembly? any ideas?

let me get pictures for you. The bracket hangs down in front of the cross member the same as yours. Yes it seems I need more travel as it hits the cross member prior to throw out bearing hits the clutch fingers.  the throw out shaft has a flat side so the bracket only fits one way.

I'm reassembling.  it was apart so I don't know it was previously.

Sorry... mine was flipped over from putting it over in the corner. 

I looked through my pics and found this photo of my current setup. My arm is pretty far foreward and has plenty of room to engage the clutch. I am wondering what throw out bearing and carrier you have and if its installed right?

E40CAF1F-5E24-4592-B7C5-998334E2BBD3.jpeg.86f5b47371aebdf9b1f5eb568640a6ce.jpeg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 9:24 PM, 59bisquik said:

Sorry... mine was flipped over from putting it over in the corner. 

I looked through my pics and found this photo of my current setup. My arm is pretty far foreward and has plenty of room to engage the clutch. I am wondering what throw out bearing and carrier you have and if its installed right?

E40CAF1F-5E24-4592-B7C5-998334E2BBD3.jpeg.86f5b47371aebdf9b1f5eb568640a6ce.jpeg

My sentiments exactly.

If the linkage cannot throwout bearing and if linkage is all installed correctly it leads me to believe something else is going on.

Pics of the inside of my bell minus throwout bearing and holder.

20180114_155134_resized.jpg

OK....So I had a similar problem with my '49 Dodge B1B.  Clutch pedal had like 3 inches of free play before the throw out bearing contacted the clutch fingers then when the pedal was all the way to the floor seems the clutch wasn't fully released and had grinding shifts.  After a bunch of checking all the linkage components , throw out bearing sleeves, clutch disc, etc.,etc. it was finally determined my fly wheel had the face machined.  Instead of being a stock thickness of 1.300 inches,  0.200 inches had been machined off it ending up with it being 1.100 inches thick or there abouts.  Remedy was to adjust the clutch fingers to accommodate.  The guy that rebuilt my clutch made the adjustment so I don't know how many turns of the bolt is reguired.  Don't know the standard thickness of a Fargo flywheel but it may be worth a check. Regards.

allanp.....you can read my posts about not having enough travel at my clutch pedal to shift properly if you search on "clutch installation".  Use the quotation marks in the search block.  As I said, I thought I had a problem with my clutch linkage components but it turned out my flywheel had 0.200 inches machined off the face. Regards.