New 1953 Pilothouse questions

Srt418

Hey guys, i just picked up a 1953 pilothouse in NY and im runnning into a couple of issues that im hoping someone can help out with.

I bought the truck with no title, the guy i bought it from said that the truck had the VIN attached to the drivers side firewall and that i would be able to get all the DMV paperwork through that number and a letter from him stating that he sold me the car. The number is stamped on a plate and looks like 5xxx-2xxxxx. when i type that in google a bunch of 1953 pilothouses come up so im guessing that number has something to do with the cabin?

After doing research on this site it seems that the vin should actually be on the drivers door which it is not unfortunetly. I also checked the frame and i can only make out the number "1" so far. We are gonna try and brush it and see if we can see anything else.

Any ideas on anything else i can try and im gonna guess that number have on the tag is not enough to get a title for the truck?

Thank you for any help and cant wait to hopefully get started on this project!

The serial number is a straight serial number with no dashes. it is on the plate. It is also stamped up front on the drivers side of the frame near the front left wheel. It may need a wire brush or sand paper to see it if it's real rusty or muddy etc. up there. Then you can de code the number here if you want 

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php

As far as the NY DMV....can't help ya on that one but you should be able to reg it with that info...Good luck!

Kevin

Do not be surprised if ya cannot find the serial number on the frame...I have several frames with only surface rust and there are variations in stamping depth from frame to frame, even the fonts differ...I have a painted Fluid Drive rolling chassis for Frankenstein and the last 4 digits are illegible due to pitting on the frame prior to painting...that frame has a TX title, but they used the engine number to title back in the day, and the engine on the frame doesn't match the title...anyhow, that firewall tag is a cab # that partially shows up on a build card :cool:

• Like 1

Yea i figured that was a cab number because of that google search. Gonna give that frame another shot, just gotta get the front rim off it was being alittle stubborn this morning. Sprayed it down with some pb blaster. Giving me hope that i can see atleast one number so far with minimal work

An oval plate, with the trucks info is on the drivers side front door jam area. Its held i with two small screws.

If you see the screw holes and no plate, it may have been removed to give it an old fashion lacquer paint job in the barn.

The driver side front frame area has the stamped numbers you need......this is a Youtube video I did concerning basic engine/frame ID....

the stamped numbers on the frame shows up near the end of the video.

48D

Estrada MotorSports 1948-53 Dodge Trucks: Identification notes part one

p.s. just took a lookie see, the frame number info starts about 7:40

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Like 1

Alright i can see at least 3 numbers for sure on the frame right where it shows in your video, we are gonna try and use some of that rust gel to see if we can clean it up alittle to get the rest, they do look very faint unfortunately . From my understanding this should be equivalent to the VIN number i would use for the DMV?

• 3 weeks later...

Think it is in the 4200-4400 pound range. I had to get my B1 weighted when I transferred an out of state title to California and I had it weighted on a certified truck scale. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Paul Beard said:

I have a 1953 1/2 ton long bed pickup and the vin plate on the left A pillar states the  weight is 3900 gross.

1953 was when America started getting fat, the title on my 1949 states the vehicle weighs 3200 pounds.

While tag on the A pillar claims you can load up to 4850 pounds ... I assume that includes vehicle weight  ;)