Junkyard Bromance

FlashBuddy

On a recent trip to the local salvage yard, I met an attractive young woman while encouraging my son to keep trying as he struggled with the '48 radio removal. Her husband was off in search of old Chevy pickups so she hung with us and we had a nice  chat.

20180818_102651

A short time later her husband showed up and took note of my son's struggle with the radio, grabbed a wrench and leaned in to lend a hand. Out comes the radio.

This guy and I get to talking about our war service of all things and end up exchanging phone numbers. A couple days later I get a text invite from the guy to meet at a new restaurant in town for beer and burgers. He graciously  chose "The Red Truck", the newest Fort Collins brewpub. 

20180901_140827-1008x756

The place was packed! My wife had me get in the beer line while she held down an open table. 

20180901_140841-1008x756.jpg

The six of us (they brought two of their three kids and one in the oven) had a chatty meal and I knew I had made a new friend.

Yesterday morning, when my son Zac arrived for another run to the junkyard, I mentioned how his mom and I had dinner with the couple we had met a week earlier in the junkyard. He was dumbfounded.  I asked him about his friends and when was the last time he had made a new one. 

I have a few good friends, most spread around the country from California to Wisconsin. I haven't met any new "real" friends in years. 

The moral of the story and point I wanted to impress upon my son was to not pass up on your opportunities nor rush to judgement and junkyard can offer more than car parts?

tlcmm.com-hero-1.jpg

My wife Jan with her good friend Barb

• Like 5

Great story!  Not to mention a cool eatery...  It's tough to find kind people nowadays.

• Like 1

Over the last 12 years I have had the honor of meeting a lot of the forum members here through the Clements Ca. BBQ at my ranch every April.

I plan on heading out east this next year to the Minnesota/Wisconsin area for a much needed vacation and seeing a whole bunch of my BBQ friends.

Seems every year I meet someone new who makes an impact on my love of the old trucks. I can say with certainty, it never gets old.

Great story on your junk yard "find"...:)

48D

No growlers, no stickers and beer in cans! I argued my case for beer in bottles and only got a pint in a cold glass.

There are two large successful micro brews here in town; Odells and New Belgium. The wife and I toured both and in both they tout the advantages of cans - fresher taste, better storage and you can stack 'em up to fit more in your fridge or chest. But don't we all know they are just trying to save a buck on shipping?

New Belgium is pretty wide spread these days. If you like IPA you just may be amazed. Here's my favorite...

101435-new-belgium--voodoo-ranger-imperi

On 9/10/2018 at 3:07 PM, FlashBuddy said:

No growlers, no stickers and beer in cans! I argued my case for beer in bottles and only got a pint in a cold glass.

There are two large successful micro brews here in town; Odells and New Belgium. The wife and I toured both and in both they tout the advantages of cans - fresher taste, better storage and you can stack 'em up to fit more in your fridge or chest. But don't we all know they are just trying to save a buck on shipping?

New Belgium is pretty wide spread these days. If you like IPA you just may be amazed. Here's my favorite...

101435-new-belgium--voodoo-ranger-imperi

well poop