Howling when hot

bambamshere

Ok I got my 56 Fargo out the other day and noticed when I was driving it it started to howl. I looked at it and coming from back of engine I think. It does it when it is idling or running down the road. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before I tare apart my truck to find a noise. I was thinking either the air pipe going to the wipers or engine exhaust manifold gaskets. 

what you all think any ideas?

I believe a bit better description of the noise, if and when tone/pitch changes and what has been checked thus far would go a long way.  Have you used a stethoscope or other sounding device in tracing the source.  Few tips given, have you checked these to rule them out.  Have you looked to see if some of the neighbors dog chain is dragging behind the car....seriously a bit more info is needed.

No I haven't checked very much on it. I asked the question so I could start looking at stuff and maybe have a better idea of what to look for. 

I will be looking at it today. I have had little time this past week. I have been rebuilding a lawn tractor motor. Anyways will be looking things over starting today.

Edited by bambamshere

Dad makes a barrel aged hot sauce each year that's "Howell'n Hot"   Cant find it in the store because he only makes five gallons each year and gives it all away around Christmas time.  OMG it's good.  I know this is an otherwise completely unhelpful post

IMG_0326.jpg.df25536f87d84bddcd14243a0e36e3dd.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I was just looking at the truck again and was looking at vent pipe. Hiw out does that get would that make a noise when venting. Not sure if it is coming from there but I am voing to store and buying a stethiscope and some gear oil. One thing on my list of stuff to do was to see how much oil was in the transmission. I guess I over looked that. Still looking at stuff. Might take for another drive just to see what I can find. 

2 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

Dad makes a barrel aged hot sauce each year that's "Howell'n Hot"   Cant find it in the store because he only makes five gallons each year and gives it all away around Christmas time.  OMG it's good.  I know this is an otherwise completely unhelpful post

IMG_0326.jpg.df25536f87d84bddcd14243a0e36e3dd.jpg

Time for dad to make 5 gallons more this year for the forum members here ,who ask???  ?

DJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ194950 said:

Time for dad to make 5 gallons more this year for the forum members here ,who ask???  ?

DJ

I think he can hold back several bottles for anyone who gives us a hand with my project.  Already have a running list ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bambamshere said:

I was just looking at the truck again and was looking at vent pipe. Hiw out does that get would that make a noise when venting. Not sure if it is coming from there but I am voing to store and buying a stethiscope and some gear oil. One thing on my list of stuff to do was to see how much oil was in the transmission. I guess I over looked that. Still looking at stuff. Might take for another drive just to see what I can find. 

If you're referring to the road draft tube, it should never make a noise.  Almost impossible to happen as it's open all time with no pressure except pulsing blowby depending on engine condition.  The tube going to the wipers can't make a noise unless it leaks.  And, a leak big enough to make a big noise would destroy your idle. 

If you forgot oil in the transmission, that would definitely howl.  Sure hope that's not it.

Edited by kencombs

5 hours ago, Jerry Roberts said:

So the howling is probably not from low gear oil . 

The main drive gear and cluster turn whenever the clutch is engaged.  So, defective MDG/Cluster/bearings could cause a noise, dry would make a lot of noise!  Not sayin' that's necessarily the case, but sure possible.

If the noise stops when the clutch is depressed when idling,that would eliminate the trans as a source.

Edited by kencombs

I took the truck for a long drive tonight and the longer I drove the less noise it made. I really haven't driven it in 2 years so maybe just needed to get out and drive. I will be checking it out again tomorrow. I still need to check tranny fluid. I want to do that and also check diff fluid. I bought gear oil today. 

I also went around today to make sure I hit all the grease nipples. Found a couple I missed because they were under old dried grease. Couple wouldn't take grease not because nipple was plugged but the grease in them was dried up. Not sure how to clean old grease out.  Probably greased last time when it was new lol.