Got a Problem Need Advice

Labrauer

some of these fuel lines are costly, especially for EFI high pressure application for those systems with clamp on application.  (just spent 90.00 for just a few feet of hose and the special clamps, clamps were cheap and used 30 for the system)  say what...!!!    Knowing what numbers to look for on the hose will help with getting the right stuff.  My go to local did not have in stock.  My back up local did.   Many are now sold in metric sizes along with SAE..not all stores stock all sizes and many stores will contaminate their bins by comingling their stock.  This little article will help with a few of the hose ratings you are looking for AND the right numbers stenciled on the hose.....while not highlighted within the talking paper you will have to scan the entire article.  You can then transcribe a cheat sheet for taking to the big box store.  This is just a quick look at just one such article doing an internet search.   For sure don't depend on the counter guy knowing what you need...they only understand the cha-ching of the cash register

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/12/05/tech-101-fuel-line-hose-what-you-should-and-should-not-use/

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

5 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

some of these fuel lines are costly, especially for EFI high pressure application for those systems with clamp on application.  (just spent 90.00 for just a few feet of hose and the special clamps, clamps were cheap and used 30 for the system)  say what...!!!    Knowing what numbers to look for on the hose will help with getting the right stuff.  My go to local did not have in stock.  My back up local did.   Many are now sold in metric sizes along with SAE..not all stores stock all sizes and many stores will contaminate their bins by comingling their stock.  This little article will help with a few of the hose ratings you are looking for AND the right numbers stenciled on the hose.....while not highlighted within the talking paper you will have to scan the entire article.  You can then transcribe a cheat sheet for taking to the big box store.  This is just a quick look at just one such article doing an internet search.   

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/12/05/tech-101-fuel-line-hose-what-you-should-and-should-not-use/

You are right, it's not cheap.  But I feel I don't ever have to pull the tanks out of my motorhome again, it's worth every penny.  

Well guys I have finally gotten to look at the Plymouth tonight after getting the wife all settled in. She came home yesterday and seems to be doing okay just hurting a lot and taking some pain pills for release of pain. What a crazy weekend and week this has been.

Now to the Plymouth. I think we have a winner with Don"s commit on the points bouncing. I took the distributor out once more and also the points. It's much easier for me that way if I take it out. I look in the box the points came in and there was another clip spring in the box. I connected it to the points behind the copper tab and put back together. Started the car making sure the timing was at TDC once again. Stepped inside went through all the gears all the way up to 60 mph and no spit, spud-er, and no backfire at all. The car ran just fine up on the jack stands now when I get the R10 wired up and get it back on the ground we'll see if I get the same results as tonight.

I know a lot of you don't like a 12 volt conversion done on these old 6 volt cars but I tell you I am very pleased with how easy the car starts now. I am amassed it seems it starts in less than one revolution of the engine

Anyway I appreciate all the replies and all the help as always.

Thanks,

Larry

• Like 4

the green line hose you mention is what I get for fuel filler tube to tank connections...this stuff is also not cheap but thankfully my local will also sell it by the foot while many will force you to buy a preformed length...amazed at its temperature and pressure rating given its thin wall density and overall ID...

9 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the green line hose you mention is what I get for fuel filler tube to tank connections...this stuff is also not cheap but thankfully my local will also sell it by the foot while many will force you to buy a preformed length...amazed at its temperature and pressure rating given its thin wall density and overall ID...

The stuff I got is just as thick as the regular fuel hose.  It has the reinforced center too.  Good stuff, but like I mentioned earlier, tough to install!  

one more to add for those working on modern intank units for retrofitting or repair of the daily driver.  This rating is for full submersed application....note the SAE J30R10 that should be marked on the hose itself...in this case, most likely embossed...  

This Fluoroelastomer (FKM) rubber hose is found in all submersed fuel systems. It is designed specifically to handle gasoline, alcohol fuels (including E85), and diesel fuel in fully immersed, mobile, stationary, and marine applications. Unlike typical EFI hose, this is engineered for constant contact with liquid petroleum distillates on the inside and outside of this Aramid Fiber reinforced hose. It is excellent for fuel pumps mounted in gas tanks and has great flexibility to work with barbs and hose clamps.

The 7.5mm ID (inner diameter) hose is great for 5/16" barbs such as those found on Walbro 255 style fuel pumps. The 8.5mm ID hose is great for 3/8" barbs such as the Walbro F90000267 and F90000274 (E85) fuel pumps.

Meets or exceeds SAE J30R10 specifications. The maximum temperature is 302F (150C), working pressure is 300psi max, and burst pressure is 500psi

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

19 minutes ago, Labrauer said:

Well guys I have finally gotten to look at the Plymouth tonight after getting the wife all settled in. She came home yesterday and seems to be doing okay just hurting a lot and taking some pain pills for release of pain. What a crazy weekend and week this has been.

Now to the Plymouth. I think we have a winner with Don"s commit on the points bouncing. I took the distributor out once more and also the points. It's much easier for me that way if I take it out. I look in the box the points came in and there was another clip spring in the box. I connected it to the points behind the copper tab and put back together. Started the car making sure the timing was at TDC once again. Stepped inside went through all the gears all the way up to 60 mph and no spit, spud-er, and no backfire at all. The car ran just fine up on the jack stands now when I get the R10 wired up and get it back on the ground we'll see if I get the same results as tonight.

I know a lot of you don't like a 12 volt conversion done on these old 6 volt cars but I tell you I am very pleased with how easy the car starts now. I am amassed it seems it starts in less than one revolution of the engine

Anyway I appreciate all the replies and all the help as always.

Thanks,

Larry

That is great news Larry!  Both that your wife is back home, and now your car is running right.

50 minutes ago, classiccarjack said:

Perhaps you feel that I am some incompetent guy with no clue.  But here, where I live, no local auto parts store carries "Gates Greenshield Multifuel & Bio-fuel compatible Fuel hose". 

No I don't,and I didn't mean any offense to you. If you think I did,I apologize for the misunderstanding. All I can do is tell you my experiences,and they are that it is not hard to find where I live.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

No I don't,and I didn't mean any offense to you. If you think I did,I apologize for the misunderstanding. All I can do is tell you my experiences,and they are that it is not hard to find where I live.

No worries, I wonder why they don't offer it here?  They used to about 8 years ago.  I wonder if it is because of the extra effort required to install it...

4 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

No worries, I wonder why they don't offer it here?  They used to about 8 years ago.  I wonder if it is because of the extra effort required to install it...

Who knows? You live in California,and they may have passed a law against selling it for "environmental reasons" so you have to go to a dealer to get any work done involving fuel systems?

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

Who knows? You live in California,and they may have passed a law against selling it for "environmental reasons" so you have to go to a dealer to get any work done involving fuel systems?

I wouldn't put it past them.... 

Every time we go to my house in Kansas, we feel like Americans again.  We DON'T need to get a key to buy paint. You can buy your tobacco, goods, and fire arms at one store without a waiting period(on the fire arms).  God bless Kansas!  The gas is better there too, at a much better price....  

49 minutes ago, classiccarjack said:

I wouldn't put it past them.... 

Every time we go to my house in Kansas, we feel like Americans again.  We DON'T need to get a key to buy paint. You can buy your tobacco, goods, and fire arms at one store without a waiting period(on the fire arms).  God bless Kansas!  The gas is better there too, at a much better price....  

I talked with my brother in San Jose last night. His 32 year old son is a machinist and makes 92 thousand a year.

In MOST places,that would be a lot of money,but he can't even afford to buy a house and he and his wife are still living in an apartment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

I talked with my brother in San Jose last night. His 32 year old son is a machinist and makes 92 thousand a year.

In MOST places,that would be a lot of money,but he can't even afford to buy a house and he and his wife are still living in an apartment.

Not even close.  He's about 15K below the poverty line in the Bay Area.  The income level to stay above the poverty line here is ~105k...

Adam

1 hour ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Not even close.  He's about 15K below the poverty line in the Bay Area.  The income level to stay above the poverty line here is ~105k...

Adam

Some people never seem to understand that it's not how much you make that is important,it's how much it costs you to live and how much you have left over after paying for the essentials.

There are still lots of nice places to live in this country where an annual 92k income could make you VERY comfortable if you don;t gamble or do other foolish things.

22 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Some people never seem to understand that it's not how much you make that is important,it's how much it costs you to live and how much you have left over after paying for the essentials.

There are still lots of nice places to live in this country where an annual 92k income could make you VERY comfortable if you don;t gamble or do other foolish things.

yes..92K in another area would make you living like a king...BUT...the jobs in that area do not come close to the same salary for same job...that is the GOTCHA of location location location....cost of living going up...chance of living going down...

5 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

You are 100% on the money.  How does one cough up enough money to pay close to a Million on a home?  I just can't comprehend how it can be done.  Even if one made $250,000 annually here, it still would be hard to make ends meet with a family here in California.  It's absolutely ridiculous....   Sigh

13 minutes ago, classiccarjack said:

You are 100% on the money.  How does one cough up enough money to pay close to a Million on a home?  I just can't comprehend how it can be done.  Even if one made $250,000 annually here, it still would be hard to make ends meet with a family here in California.  It's absolutely ridiculous....   Sigh 

In silicon valley you may buy a 2-3 bed, 1 bath for that money but probably needs repair.!!

In S.F. you get a junk tear down house on a lot that the neighbors house is about 2 foot away on the sides- No real backyard!!

Got to love the area to consider staying, Many are NOT!!

DJ

18 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

In silicon valley you may buy a 2-3 bed, 1 bath for that money but probably needs repair.!!

In S.F. you get a junk tear down house on a lot that the neighbors house is about 2 foot away on the sides- No real backyard!!

Got to love the area to consider staying, Many are NOT!!

DJ

Hi DJ,

I was involved in a car accident a couple of months ago.  The incident occurred near Sacramento.  I had to rent a car from Enterprise to drive to San Diego in order to rent a truck in order to tow my wrecked vehicle back home.  

You might ask, why wouldn't you rent a truck from Sacramento or even Los Angeles?  Why would you drive for hours to go to San Diego to rent a truck?  The Enterprise Rental  place told me that they can't keep trucks in stock.  The assumption is that so many people are moving out of California, that they can't keep enough trucks in stock in order to keep up with the demand.  It may be just a circumstance of college kids going home, but it was not convenient.

when I go through the gears and in high (3rd) revved it up to around 45 mph the engine starts to spud-er and back fire and seems to loose power.

I had this same problem about more ten years.While I did not disassemble my original fuel pump and restored it(cause:short stroke) this sympton continued.

Hello Larry.

Some years ago i had a problem on my 47 windsor with the same symptoms, after  checking so many things

i found the problem! Where the fuel enter the carburator,seat of the float needle part no.690676,there is a rubber seal where the needle close,that hole in the rubber was too little and i decided to drill to open it and it was just that. There wasn´t enought fuel when the car reachs 50/60 MPH. Check this on the carburator its easy to do.

From Portugal

Paulo

Thanks for all the great information on my problem it is fixed and running good. We have a great group of people here on the forum. 

Hey Don I did tell what fixed the problem in my post # 33. I guessed you missed it but you were the one that nailed it on the head. There was the metal spring still in the points box and when I installed it the car ran fine at 60 mph and above. Thanks

• Thanks 1

I used to get recruiters calling me all the time telling me that I could make lots of money in California.  I usually tell them that I am not interested in moving to California.  The smart ones wish me well and move on.  There are other headhunters that obviously think I'm some dumb hick being from the Midwest.  The salary ranges they usually quote me are about $100K light.  They think I will jump at a 50% increase and that I don't know about CoL.  I've even had some try to HR-splain me and try to tell me that Los Angeles isn't much more than Topeka.  I usually just hang up at that point.