Paint - Base/Clear or Single Stage?

My 2¢-

It is ALL in the prep. If you are worried about solvent pop or getting the mix wrong for your temperature or humidity just do some samples first. 

If you had $10,000 to get a half decent custom paint job most of that money would be in the body work. Nobody wants to put their name on a paint job that will bubble from rust etc three years later. 

In the end it’s just paint- pick a color and process and it will be fun and look great.

Here's where my '51 was at as of yesterday afternoon. The doors are almost ready for final painting too. I'm still doing filler work on the fenders and grill. The hood is in great shape and doesn't need as much attention. Haven't started work on the bed yet but it's going to be all black just like the factory made it. I had to buy replacements for the bed front panel and tailgate which weren't economical to repair. The front end color will be dark green. Green and black is how this truck came from San Leandro 67 years ago. The wheels are already painted in as close to original Dodge cream as I could make them.

Of course before the cab got to this point, there was a certain amount of sheet metal and filler work. The passenger side of the floor was in the worst shape and I ended up replacing the entire passenger and driver sides. Earlier in the day I seam sealed the edge where the roof meets the back panel.

Masked off the interior to avoid overspray...

20180831_124127_1535799973928_resized.jpg

One coat of epoxy...

20180831_134039_1535799977458_resized.jpg

Then two coats of high build primer...

20180831_143239_1535799981290_resized.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe take a look at eastwood.com. supposedly have nice paint for reasonable prices?? Seems so to me but I live in Ca. where paints formulas are quite restricted and the local auto paint stores are $$$.

https://www.eastwood.com/paints/automotive-finishes/colors/single-stage-urethane.html

DJ