“Rocker transmission”

On my 48 B1J170, it has 1-5 and reverse on the far right and forward, if I go far right and straight down, there is a forward gear that is really low speed, a higher gearing (it felt like) that normal 1st gear... I was told this was to help trucks get ‘unstuck’ easier. How common is that transmission setup? Does anyone know?

Common low 1st gear.

I am going on memory but I believe that’s wrong. 1 is granny right below the reverse on the far right like drawn. Then it’s a H pattern 2345. I don’t believe 5 is out by itself.  Someone please verify. 

I've never seen a 5 speed dodge truck trans with two super low gears or seven gear positions. Spur gear or syncro. New Process or Clark.

The overdrive 5 speeds have an odd backwards shift pattern but still with five speeds forward ..one reverse.

I’ll have to verify on the road (after I fix the brakes), but it definitely felt like a 5th gear next to third that wasn’t reverse... sitting still, I stuck it in that gear to see if it went forwards or backwards, it started lurching forward (and bogging down of course) definitely felt different than the third gear.

tell us if the letters OD are stamped near the oil drain hole of the main case? Charlie Stephenson

5 speed OD case marking.... no OD stamp....... no OD odd gear shift pattern.

OD syncro Dodge 5 speed (3).JPG

• Like 1

no OD stamp = odd shift pattern?  then that's what I have,  Could it still be a Clark?,   just not an OD Clark? Charlie Stephenson

2 hours ago, Charlie Stephenson said:

no OD stamp = odd shift pattern?  then that's what I have,  Could it still be a Clark?,   just not an OD Clark? Charlie Stephenson

What year/ model of truck are you asking about the type or model of transmission?

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older post but I’m also curious as to what the transmission is. I’m also wondering if these old bigger trucks had Syncros or if I’ll be needing to double clutch everything? When I shift up there is no grinding but downshifting is a whole different beast.

My ‘48 B-1-J is setup similar to the OP and the shift pattern is a bit different than more modern patterns. 

this is how my pattern is setup and I’ve included a picture of my stick with the “shift pattern” on the boot.

2   4   R

N

3   5   1-(with circle around it)

I couldn’t find an OD stamped on the back of my transmission but I do have a lot of grease on it. 

C81963BC-9239-480C-857D-442B0B8B5BCA.jpeg

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 11:03 AM, Haydenh said:

I know this is an older post but I’m also curious as to what the transmission is. I’m also wondering if these old bigger trucks had Syncros or if I’ll be needing to double clutch everything?

(pssst, dude, your rubbers cracked :D

come on Haydehn! all the cool kids are double clutchin'...….. "can't find em, grind em" :)

I want a 5speed!!!!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

(pssst, dude, your rubbers cracked :D

come on Haydehn! all the cool kids are double clutchin'...….. "can't find em, grind em" :)

I want a 5speed!!!!

Hahaha, it’s that dry heat of the desert Southwest! Or it could be the last 70 years I guess?? I probably shouldn’t show you the tires either haha

I’m usually very in tune to weird vibrations and noise and such in my vehicles so I didn’t want to be worried about there being some tranny issue while trying to downshift if there really is no worry. But if there aren’t synchros I’ll definitely be teaching myself to double clutch! Maybe I’ll find a brownie to throw on there too just to spice up the double clutching. Especially since I’m not as lucky to get a 2 speed rear end haha