Pinion Nut Cotter Pin

Conn47D24

first, is the hole aligned properly to insert into the slot of the castle nut and continue through the pinion shaft hole?  if not, you will need to tighten it a tad more till you are aligned...the torque is a minimum figure and with situation like this, you continue from minimum torque to the slot and holes are aligned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The pin of the correct size needs to be carefully curved as it's worked into the pinion nut and pinion shaft hole. This because the pin hole is quite recessed.

Pinion Yoke Prick Punch Marking (5).JPG

• Thanks 1

It's not that hard a little practice you'll be good to go.

I've done many so easy for me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Conn47D24 said:

Yes, slot and hole are lined up.  It's so tight I guess maybe bending the pin and feeding it through is  the game. ?

Yep, that's the Only way!  ?

Added- fiind the correct size cotter pin and use one just long enough to fit as picture shows, almost impossible to cut off excess if too long of pin is used!

Hope there is no second time but it does get Way easier if ever needed as Dodgeb4ya says!

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
  • Thanks 1

Another suggestion is to file the 90 degree ends of the cotter pin at a slight angle to assist the pin to slide into the hole..........ain't old cars fun?............lol........andyd

• Thanks 1

Whenever I work on a model that I'm not familiar with I check fit of parts i'm going to use for reassembly like diameter of pin into the pinion shaft hole before I get to far along so I know how difficult it will be. After all that long winded advice I usually forget such and in same situation . Good luck. Oh and excellent pictures and close-ups. Helps new guys see what we are dealing with!