anybody know what this whoosimawhatsit is ???

thebelvedereman

Its a pooper scooper and you got it laying on your stove.....eeeew!!!!!!                                                                                  :lol:

I really am just jerking your chain.......

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

yep, it was invented in 1887, and it's called a conical key scoop, and it was used mainly in ice cream parlors between 1887 and 1920, my stepmother found it with a bunch of antique auto parts, I guess they just threw it in there because it was an antique it's pretty much in perfect shape

6 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

they threw it in because like you in the beginning it was an unknown item....it is also the first time I saw a scoop of this style...very interesting ...thanks for posting...

No problem Tim, and thank you everyone I wouldn't have known what it was either if it wasn't for you guys, I looked up just about everything I could think of on the internet including a flour sifter, we got a great bunch of guys here, and I knew that one of you would know what it was, and then after you guys figured it out I did some research on the internet and found out exactly when it was made and everything, I might just throw it on the backseat of my car and take it to the cruise nights with the rest of the antique stuff that I have in the car :)

52 minutes ago, thebelvedereman said:

I don't know if I'd make any friends, it appears to be galvanized, and would probably just taste like old metal LOL

I would guess that it is hot tin plated.  (Cold tin plating, or "bright tin", is not food safe, but hot tin plating was used on lots of steel food service & processing items, like a hand meat grinder, for instance.)

2 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

I would guess that it is hot tin plated.  (Cold tin plating, or "bright tin", is not food safe, but hot tin plating was used on lots of steel food service & processing items, like a hand meat grinder, for instance.)

I'm not sure, but it does have some Rust spots inside, not to mention it's over a hundred years old, I'm not sure I would want to be eating anything from it

Edited by thebelvedereman

4 hours ago, thebelvedereman said:

I'm not sure, but it does have some Rust spots inside, not to mention it's over a hundred years old, I'm not sure I would want to be eating anything from it

Yeah, I wouldn't either. but we used to drink well water out at the windmill from a rusty tin can stuck over a nearby fence post.  (After we rinsed out the spiders, of course.)  

• 1 month later...

Ice cream scoop, car parts... We have a guy that sets up and sells homemade ice cream at our county fair. He has Ice Cream machines powered by a old John Deere popper engines. Pretty neat to watch, and some good Ice Cream as well.

Edited by johnsartain