White top

Hickory

So I'm going to paint my car a light blue similar to the original color. But I'm thinking to paint the roof white. I was thinking painting from dripedge up leaving the door surrounds blue. I see that Adam h painted from the trim at the body line up which was my other thought. I'm checking to see what you guys think looks better.

there is no cut line (panel separation/joint line) on that roof at the front and will cause you to either include the a-post and cowl as your a-post is quite wide from the edge of the glass trim to the door opening or you can choose your cut line near the top and mask it off and when unmasked, cover the cut line with a complimentary 1/4 pin striping tape that will help hide the cut line and seal the line also.  Similar to if you separate at a belt line and use the tape the protect the line as it comes from under the molding and wrap around into the door jamb to the place it is covered by the interior door panel/lacing...

Back transition but there is a good panel crease for a transition. These cars look better 2 tone in my opinion. Kind of lowers the roof a little. 

IMG_2670.jpg.a52a198ab5b50389ae190453eca0b0ad.jpg

Adam

Edit:  Initially I left the window surrounds  dark but it made the roof look tall. Kind of like a green car with a white top hat. Reminded me of a VW Bug. 

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

Around the rear would be easy on my car since there is trim. I see the issue on the front. That I will have to tackle when I get there. The biggest decision is do I stop at the dripedge above the doors and leave the complete door blue or do I carry it down to the trim below the window 

• Like 1

I think I'm leaning towards at the drip edge and leaving the complete door blue. Maybe do the whole cowling white. Not sure yet. Are there other members with pics besides adam h and his wonderful job.

Edited by Hickory
Spelling

My  personal choice would be to leave the entire door blue.  Use the gutter as your cut off and do as others have advised on the A pillar.  

If you are going to add a sun visor, it will disguise the paint transition line.

So I laid out my idea for the cowl.  No comments on prep work I'm not done there just getting ideas. I think using the vent for the line then the pinstripe won't look to buisy up there.

KIMG0510.JPG

7 minutes ago, Hickory said:

So I laid out my idea for the cowl.  No comments on prep work I'm not done there just getting ideas. I think using the vent for the line then the pinstripe won't look to buisy up there.

KIMG0510.JPG

Basically how I did mine but I followed the contour of the windshield. 

In my humble IMHO opinion, the doors above the beltline should be the roof color.   It takes a little extra work. 

The pre-war/post-war bodies do well with the two-tone, although for most models the trunk needs a moldng to separate the colors. 

The 50s models for the most part have the bustle trunk, which helps define the color line.  Here's my 47. 

1098454831_1947DeSotoSuburban.JPG.a549fd29749fcb2b0e7fa627505fdc16.JPG

• Like 3

Whether you paint the tops of the doors to match the roof or the body color I would cut off the white at the bottom of the A pillar and not bring it down to the cowl.  I would stop it flush with the bottom of the windshield and bring it around to the center of the door molding.  To dress it up more and not add a third color you could then bring in a 3/16 body color pinstripe up 3/16 from the bottom of the white.  In effect you would have a white pinstripe against the blue followed by a blue pinstripe against the white and then the white top.  Very neat and tidyand your color break is only a couple inches long.  This is classic technique to break the color where there is no molding.

• Like 1

I just thought I'd throw my 2 Oz cents worth into this discussion..........when I originally built my 1940 Dodge in the early 70's I was not confident in my panelbeating skills to be able to fix the 2 flat spots that were in the roof of the car and at that time there was a couple of local Oz hotrods that had their roofs vinyl topped so I followed suit and had the beige vinyl top done........fast forward about 40 yrs and the front & rear windscreen rubbers had seen better days, a couple of leaks and small rust bubbles so a mate & me removed the vinyl top, repaired the roof, new rubbers and his son who is a spraypainter redid the roof in 2 pack...........I've also attached a pic of when we removed the vinyl top showing my "vinyl roof to go here" writing of about 1975 and the original golden brown car colour...........lol..........anyway just thought that the colour comparision may help or maybe confuse the discussion.............lol...........andyd    

IMG_1372.JPG

P1000362.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

P1000696 (800x600).jpg

P1000697 (800x600).jpg

You can also make the cut line on the top of "A" pillar. Just like on that car: 0006DQM1E1VGNTAX-C116-F4.png or a little lower, in the narrowest point of pillar.