PrismaticPowder Coating -- substitute for chrome plating

NickPick'sCrew

NPT and I are pricing out new chrome for a few parts and the cost is mind numbing.  most significantly the bumpers as much as $900 each.  This has us considering less expensive alternatives.  There is a shop about 20 minutes north of us that we plan to use for sandblasting.  The shop also offers prismatic powder coating.  Any experience with the product or thoughts given other experience that would be similar?  Our other alternative is to clean up and stabilize parts as they are now and save the lawn mowing allowance for a few years.  NPT may be able to chrome as he's getting ready for graduation in a few years.

Edited by NickPick'sCrew

Just saw a 47 Plymouth that had chrome paint applied to some trim pieces, dash pieces and bumper gaurds.  From five feet you couldn't tell the difference. Think he said it was Cosmo chrome or similar. His whole batch was less than $400.00

11 hours ago, NickPick'sCrew said:

NPT and I are pricing out new chrome for a few parts and the cost is mind numbing.  most significantly the bumpers as much as $900 each.  This has us considering less expensive alternatives.  There is a shop about 20 minutes north of us that we plan to use for sandblasting.  The shop also offers prismatic powder coating (www.prismaticpowders.com)  Any experience with the product or thoughts given other experience that would be similar?  Our other alternative is to clean up and stabilize parts as they are now and save the lawn mowing allowance for a few years.  NPT may be able to chrome as he's getting ready for graduation in a few years.

That link is bad.  Hover on it and you can see that it shows to be two links.

5 hours ago, greg g said:

Just saw a 47 Plymouth that had chrome paint applied to some trim pieces, dash pieces and bumper gaurds.  From five feet you couldn't tell the difference. Think he said it was Cosmo chrome or similar. His whole batch was less than $400.00

agree completely Greg.  Looks shoddy to paint it chrome colored.  Thinking about having him clean it up and seal it with a clear coat for the time being.  I suggested he go with a bronze powder coat against a matt black paint job with racing red wheels during the interim -- the bronzed color would look more intentional and not have to compete with the real chrome.  He's not having it.  his stainless pieces on the front were painted black by previous owner and they are cleaning up nicely so I think he's hooked on the shine of the stainless / chrome.

Alsa Killer Chrome is yet another option for anyone not wishing to front the money for chrome, but again, it runs a bit of money itself......sad to say so many chrome shops over book at shows and such, loose customer pieces, break pieces when buffing and thus render them useless.....pot metal is surely high dollar if you go for top of the line show chrome.....if minor imperfections are not a problem..it can be done fairly reasonable but remember, you get what you pay for.  Some cars look good with painted accent that was originally chromed  if a pleasing contrasting color is chosen....the folks that paint it all one color with the car lack imagination and talent .......... my opinion only....everyone is free to do as they wish.....lol

• 3 weeks later...

Guys I had the same problem but I sanded all the chrome off using a angle grinder and flapper disc then started with 80 grit sandpaper and worked my way up to 1500 grit and by this time the bumpers were shining great then I used mothers polish and a buffing wheel and had those babys  looking exactly like chrome everyone that see's them can't believe they are not chrome. Ifinished them off by applying a product from flood that is an oil based product and applied it with 0000 steel wool and wiped them off right away for a beautiful shine and it will protect them from rusting for at least a year b/4 you have to recoat. Just a warning this is not an easy process and will take you many hours of sanding polishing and buffing make sure that with each grit of and paper you use especially when you start make sure you get all the old chrome off of them it is very important you do this it will save you much time and aggravation but when you see the results it is worth it.  Gary 

13 hours ago, garyp said:

Guys I had the same problem but I sanded all the chrome off using a angle grinder and flapper disc then started with 80 grit sandpaper and worked my way up to 1500 grit and by this time the bumpers were shining great then I used mothers polish and a buffing wheel and had those babys  looking exactly like chrome everyone that see's them can't believe they are not chrome. Ifinished them off by applying a product from flood that is an oil based product and applied it with 0000 steel wool and wiped them off right away for a beautiful shine and it will protect them from rusting for at least a year b/4 you have to recoat. Just a warning this is not an easy process and will take you many hours of sanding polishing and buffing make sure that with each grit of and paper you use especially when you start make sure you get all the old chrome off of them it is very important you do this it will save you much time and aggravation but when you see the results it is worth it.  Gary 

Pictures?  (Sounds intriguing.)