1941 Chrysler engine and tranny swap

41chysleRoyal

Some advice for a engine and trans combo for a 1941 Chrysler c28. I have found a 1985  dodge 318 for 400.00. Really liked car all original 

engine 6 long. But after much tight and time decided while apart , frame off I should put something in it that would make it lil more summer 

useable. Louisiana has some long hot summers and figured if not 100 % original I should just go all the way. Not looking for a hot ride but just a interstate cruiser. Tranny is up next  ?  And so is rear end ? And when in question I know this is the site to seek for info.

your 1985 is first year for the roller lifter engine and increase of CR back to a respectable 9.0 but suffers yet with lean burn ignition.   The change to the earlier pre lean burn ignition and associated carburetor would place reliability back to the forefront and also ease of install.  The install can be quick and easy and basically a non invasive upgrade if you were to consider staying with your stock frame, mounting disc brakes, relocate the shocks to an upper frame mount.  If you consider PS a must that also is an easily done upgrade.  Another consideration and solely a choice only you can make is to consider yet another approach of subframe taken from another vehicle made by Mopar...the Dakota.  The vehicle would greatly benefit from a a rear gear change both for ratio and ease of brake service.  However the odds are the 85 is going to have a 2.32 ratio...this did not make the car quick off the line but put it in running for better economy as the V8's till their demise in the sedan market did not get over drive.  Your need for a left exhaust manifold if you want a rear dump will be seek out an A body manifold, else seek out the very center dump of the truck and I am thinking you will want the rear oil sump pan and pickup as well.  

• Like 1