Excessive engine noise

pflaming

My truck cabin noise continues to increase. The source is the engine because it is now obviously present when the truck is parked. So several source: water pump bearing, alternater bearing, loose valve adjustment, timing chain. I removed the fan belt, the noise remains so valves or timing chain. 

So whichever it is, some work involved. If it's the timing chain, then repair best be NOW?  If that goes out, would that ruin an engine? Valves is mostly inefficient explosions and then possibly burned valves eventually? . 

1 hour ago, pflaming said:

My truck cabin noise continues to increase. The source is the engine because it is now obviously present when the truck is parked. So several source: water pump bearing, alternater bearing, loose valve adjustment, timing chain. I removed the fan belt, the noise remains so valves or timing chain. 

So whichever it is, some work involved. If it's the timing chain, then repair best be NOW?  If that goes out, would that ruin an engine? Valves is mostly inefficient explosions and then possibly burned valves eventually? . 

its the new hearing aides, not the truck ...!

• Like 1

". . . when the timing chain is loose, it may cause a vibration inside the motor and will be indicated by a rattling noise as the engine idles. Anytime you hear a rattle it means that something is loose and needs to be fixed before it breaks."

I read this on the web.

Hearing aides or not. I'm going to get to give that chain a close look. Probably best to pull the  radiatorto remove the chin cover. 

Before you start tearing things apart, get a mechanics stethoscope and listen around to see where the noise is coming from. A broom handle or long dowel rod will work too, but the mechanics stethoscope is much easier to use. Touching different parts of the engine while running you will hear many noises. When you get to the one that sounds like what you are hearing, only louder, you have found the source of your noise. 

You can find a mechanics stethoscope for $8-$15 on Amazon, and you can probably find one locally too. I don’t know how well they’ll work with hearing aids. May need to remove those first. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:04 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

if your wife does not understand that your hearing deficit now requires a 28 year old female assistant in the shop.....you just flat need to quit the hobby....

This young lady appears to have the necessary skills... ?

Helper.png.b44f23db8bc6ea75fc1f28c8fafeb6b9.png

• Haha 1

FYI - I spoke with George Asche last year, regarding engine rebuilding, and recommended using a drill bit to open up the hole in the little oil nozzle that oils the chain.  He said the factory size is a little small and doesn't provide quite as much oil as it should for long chain and sprocket life.  He didn't know exactly what size drill bit he uses, but just said,  "it's the first one in the set."  Of course, the size of the first one in the set all depends on which set one owns.  At any rate, I'm sure opening it up any amount at all will help.