1939 all electric Dodge truck

Frank Elder

I assume you will have an inverter to ramp the motor speed from zero RPM's to max RPM's for a smooth transmission same as accelerating a gasoline engine. Will you have maximum torque at zero RPM"s? How large will your battery pack be? Any provisions to charge the battery when decelerating? How many miles do you anticipate on a full charge? You should learn how to make engine sounds with your mouth.   

6 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

I assume you will have an inverter to ramp the motor speed from zero RPM's to max RPM's for a smooth transmission same as accelerating a gasoline engine. Will you have maximum torque at zero RPM"s? How large will your battery pack be? Any provisions to charge the battery when decelerating? How many miles do you anticipate on a full charge? You should learn how to make engine sounds with your mouth.   

You shoudn't have assumed that this is my truck Don, it is simply a video I found on you tube.............As to all your rapid fire question that are supposed to awe and amaze me with your knowledge maybe you should contact the owner to get your answers. I will leave it up to you to guess the 2 words that I am making with my mouth at this moment.

Frank, this build seems to have peeked your curiosity and to that end I would also assume that you would be very interested not only in the film on you tube but to have some personal insights as to how it all will work when completed and be able to discuss merits/application or at minimum agree to disagree.   As one that is curious enough to investigate a few things when they are posted I did go a bit further than the film as to the cost of the kits that are available and also the individual replacement cost of said components.  As far as the very setup shown it appears to be either the EV kit or a very much imitated kits as offered by them.  The build would be unique and possibly fun but the limitations even in a  much lighter vehicle than the pictured truck as far as commute distance (avg 100 miles) verse recharge time (min 8 hours) makes it a toy in every sense of the word as practicable OTR vehicle it is not.  A baseline kit of motor, controller and charger with braking regen...is 7 grand less shipping wiring, and electrical safety devices and does not include batteries at some 180.00 a pop and no foreword as the quantities of batteries needed for a short commute baseline vehicle.   Even if 12 batteries are needed that is 2100 dollars and there are special hazmat and shipping regs involved if you are not local to a retailer.   Again this is a novel build and one that I see as very cost involved for return of practical use.  Personally I can speak highly of Curtis controller if branded/sold  by them and their excellent repair and turn around time, but anything they make that is proprietary (under a retailers licensed name)...you basically at the mercy of the supplier as they swiftly deal you a death blow in expensive reprogram or repair.    I advise any reader that may entertain such a build to get deep into the pros and cons and visit a few of the forums that deal with like engineering for the DIY.

UPDATE...just found the data that states the above listed kit PLUS battery pack is 19 grand for a low weight converted vehicle so I am guessing the batteries will be far greater than 12....actually the total includes 37 batteries...to do a battery change out of your pocket would be to the tune of 7 grand given you got a heck of a break in shipping...but in the 19 K you do get car specific mounts wiring and safety devices.   Also, the expected and advertised mileage on a charge for the 19,000.00 less actual install time and misc. costs...90 miles....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

7 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

You shoudn't have assumed that this is my truck Don, it is simply a video I found on you tube.............As to all your rapid fire question that are supposed to awe and amaze me with your knowledge maybe you should contact the owner to get your answers. I will leave it up to you to guess the 2 words that I am making with my mouth at this moment.

Sorry, I should have known that such a project is well above your pay grade. But we can agree or disagree that the 2 words I am making with my mouth at this moment are the same as the 2 words you made. ?

• Like 1