1940 P10 Speedo Rebuild

Mark D

hey all - 

Got a guy calling on me to help him rebuild/service his P10 speedo.  The rotating face of the gauge has come apart with age and likely heat.  I assume this is old celluloid film it was printed on.  Wondering if anyone has rebuilt this with success, or if anyone might have a serviceable unit for sale that I could salvage for parts? 

Advice appreciated.

Mark D

37100033_1822556894472172_996165493339455488_n.jpg.25270085fff764e1f359c6120cfe4710.jpg

the disc in the middle is just a clear plastic of some sort.... whatever was available in 1940..... easy to improve upon, I am sure.   My experience with 1940 speedometers goes back 60 years and if a generalization is valid, they all tended to indicate a speed slower than what was being traveled.  My current 40 registers  a speed which is half the actual speed in kilometers.

So if it indicates 30 mph the car's actual speed is 60 kph !   at 50 mph the speed is 100 kph.  . Since Canada's speeds are in Kph, I find this to be convenient.  The odometer is accurate in miles.  Confusing.  You bet.

• Like 1