New interest in the Inline six?....maybe.

48Dodger

Read an article that could be an off topic subject,...but felt it could be an engine option someday for someone with a vintage truck. What do you think of a newly design straight six for the uniqueness or possible ease of fitment? Is a six more "exceptable" than a V8? Horse power is horsepower, Torque is toque, I don't think it matters if it comes from a 6 or an 8....as it rises, so does the need for better brakes and handling. I say more is better, until it doesn't look like a truck anymore. I like the hidden quality of an HP Engine tucked inside a nicely preserved work truck. That's what I have, its what like.

Straight From the Grave: An Iconic Engine Design Makes a comeback

48D     

numerous articles on the modern inline 6 still in production, BMW for one had never abandoned the inline 6 and has set the standard for modern development in modular concept...  I for one always liked the inline 6's but was always put off by the lack of overall power and upgrading here in the US.  Even a number of the V6's that was built to replace the six was lacking in many ways and flash forward these many years since their mass application,....they were still underpowered and no following in the aftermarket for performance related parts saving one company and their application always defaulted to carburation.  Carbs are not efficient or power builders across the rpm spectrum.  If the industry would go back to the inline 6 we could see a bit more elegance in the design of the luxury car hood and sleekness in the sport coupes as they will have to enlarge the engine bays.  This would inject some fresh blood into the car world.  Now if we could just get our favorite brand name to start making a few realistically priced two door cars again, to stay competitive, you got to have an entry and midlevel nonsense car, one you can buy with a better than average power to weight, sport features like multi speed floor shift trannies and dress accessories for customizing or I prefer the word personalizing your ride.  The last entry level car in this field was the Neon and though it could be had in SRT4....it was at that time 4 doors only with the last of the coupes built in 1999.   The Caliber could well have been the next toy if built with a two door body style as an option.  Folks generally do not drift to 4 door cars for personal vehicles...

I am a huge fan of inline 6 engines. But that over complicated thing that MB built would never be on my list of transplant candidates. Honestly I would be much happier just doing a careful rebuild / build up on the original engine.

One of the best attributes of these trucks is the rugged simplicity of the original engine. I have driven mine daily for about 3 years now. Try doing this before you start changing the basic design. You might just find that the original build wasn't too far off the mark. The only serious mods I made to mine was swapping in a Grand Cherokee 3.55 rear axle and going with 4 wheel disc brakes. I never even rebuilt the engine or the transmission. It cruises happily at 65 mph and gets fairly decent gas mileage. 15 to 17 Mpg. Not horrible for a 65 year old 3/4 ton truck. Best of all it is 100% reliable and has never once left me stranded.

Tim I know you love these trucks....but love them for the right reason. Drive a more or less stock one every day........then tell us what you would change. ?

Jeff

3 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Tim I know you love these trucks....but love them for the right reason. Drive a more or less stock one every day........then tell us what you would change. ?

Jeff

I know  you talking to Tim E........but this Tim, I would basically change everything but the exterior that defines the build era....but we all know this is what makes the hobby so rewarding to every builder across the board.  Don't get me wrong, the flathead in my 54 without fail is very smooth and easily runs my car to 85 but floats like a boat at that speed (have not done the shock relocation) and it will not be changed by myself.  I buy cars of interest to me with missing or totally hosed engine/drivetrains for the sole purpose of modification.  I have never cut a stock flathead vehicle that was in working order to this date.

Jeep continued the inline 6 till 1998 where it lost favor to the corporate V6/V8 for simplicity that led the such platforms as the Pentastar V6 engine that Trenton plant produces in HP variations from 283 horse for utility application to over 400 horse in the higher lineup of production cars.  

35 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I know  you talking to Tim E........but this Tim, I would basically change everything but the exterior that defines the build era....but we all know this is what makes the hobby so rewarding to every builder across the board.  Don't get me wrong, the flathead in my 54 without fail is very smooth and easily runs my car to 85 but floats like a boat at that speed (have not done the shock relocation) and it will not be changed by myself.  I buy cars of interest to me with missing or totally hosed engine/drivetrains for the sole purpose of modification.  I have never cut a stock flathead vehicle that was in working order to this date.

Yep I was speaking to the other Tim. I think what is important to note is that most of these trucks here do not see regular use. My perspective as a daily user is that they can be used pretty much as they were built. Just not at 85 mph. To me and I am certain many others changing too much would just ruin the experience of driving a 65 ear old truck. They are in effect a functional time machine that you can use everyday. That is truly what is very cool about them. They are always going to be happiest on a country road.

Jeff

I agree with you that they will function as intended and as built back then..just not a rabbit off the line and well, busy sounding at the upper speeds and that is the major turnoff to many onwers.  Many cut the rpm's way before the designed operating limit is reached.  And, if that is what you enjoy it there is nothing in the world wrong with that anymore so than there is anything wrong with upgrading to suit the owner at hand.  As far as driving experience goes....with the stock suspension, dampening, steering and brakes....your experience is going to be the same albeit with a bit more grunt available...a pigs ear maybe with a diamond stud.

The inline has alot of potential but just needs some upgrades. How about a Ford 300 inline with a Chevy LS head, long tubes and a pile of 2bbls...

Also, there is a member on this board that has a SBC head on a 4 cylinder dodge flathead. I imagine this same thing could be done for a 6 cylinder version.

Capture.JPG

engines.jpg.6084e84c1829c3ccdc48b4607aa1ca49.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 2

On 8/24/2018 at 12:20 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

I agree with you that they will function as intended and as built back then..just not a rabbit off the line and well, busy sounding at the upper speeds and that is the major turnoff to many onwers.  Many cut the rpm's way before the designed operating limit is reached.  And, if that is what you enjoy it there is nothing in the world wrong with that anymore so than there is anything wrong with upgrading to suit the owner at hand.  As far as driving experience goes....with the stock suspension, dampening, steering and brakes....your experience is going to be the same albeit with a bit more grunt available...a pigs ear maybe with a diamond stud.

I won't argue that a few more ponies would be nice. I just don't think that say tripling the available HP is going to make for a pleasant driving experience. And with a lump like MB has created the complication factor would be silly.

I am probably one of the few owners that uses one of these trucks for all my daily needs. That would not be realistic with stock gearing or a few other carefully thought out upgrades. Just last week I took it down to Oceanside on the 5 Fwy. Average speed was 65 to 70 mph....which is not noisy in my truck as it has 3.55s and radial tires. Honestly that is as fast as I need to go in a 65 year old truck. It does it just fine and it actually gets decent mileage. 20 or 30 more HP would make it really nice but it should not come at the cost of over complication. Rock solid reliable is what these trucks can be....if we don't goof them up too much.

Jeff

My 230 flatty was super reliable- best part of my truck. If it steered worth a darn and if it was clean enough to restore I never would have gone v8.

I also had a 4.0 high output cherokee- scary fast for what it was. I also had a bunch of 198 & 225 slant 6s that were kind of right inbetween the two.

Given today's engineering advancement in fuel injection, variable valve timing, ECM, tighter tolerances,  etc.  It seems to make sense to try and build a shorter stroke I-6 as an alternative to V-8's.