Oil Filter Kit?

Dennis Detweiler

Dennis, my 41 Plymouth had no oil filter when I bought it, it was an older restoration and I decided that as I was going to have to find a canister type by- pass filter then I might as well get one that suited my hot rodding instincts........a Finned Beehive Filter and also some stainless lines....I bought it from the USA, possibly Speedway Motors ...........see the attached pic........it didn't make it go any faster but it sure make the engine bay look quick..........btw I posted a thread listing the various cross referenced oil filter canister elements that fitted this Beehive style filter a few months ago so it should be still searchable.........it was under "oil filter interchange" or something similar..........andyd

IMG_1361.JPG

Thanks for all the info.

My 39 sedan isn't a show car, but is in good condition. It's a daily driver and a good rally car, so I'm not concerned about originality. I like bones44 setup. By the way, I'm in Solon, Iowa. I'm a 69 years old musician and good friends with Tom Pickett sr and jr in Bluegrass, Iowa.

1 hour ago, bones44 said:

I am using a by-pass spin on oil filter on my 230 and did not loose any oil pressure were a full flow set up would.

parts used were a Wix by pass filter head 24755 ( e bay) an a Fram  PB50 by pass filter.

DSCN0868.JPG

Why would a full flow conversion lose oil pressure?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bones44 said:

I am using a by-pass spin on oil filter on my 230 and did not loose any oil pressure were a full flow set up would.

parts used were a Wix by pass filter head 24755 ( e bay) an a Fram  PB50 by pass filter.

DSCN0868.JPG

What is the copper coil? Condenser tube for your still??

13 hours ago, Dennis Detweiler said:

Why is a flow restrictor required? Is a restrictor also used with the original oil filter?

This modification sounds like the route I should take.

Modern oil filters are designed for unimpeded flow. In our engines, filter bypasses the engine's oiling system. Too much flow through the filter means low oil pressure and too little flow through the engine. If installation of external filter lowers the oil pressure, then flow through the filter should be restricted to bring the pressure back.

5 hours ago, bones44 said:

DSCN0868.JPG

PB50 is a bypass type filter - it has flow restriction built into it. If this setup is used with regular modern high flow oil filter, then external flow restrictor will be needed.

I used a similar setup that came with a flathead Mopar six from a forklift and used this filter which is made for the bypass oil filters.

DJ

mopar bypass filter-wix 51050 oic.bmp

7 hours ago, sser2 said:

Modern oil filters are designed for unimpeded flow. In our engines, filter bypasses the engine's oiling system. Too much flow through the filter means low oil pressure and too little flow through the engine. If installation of external filter lowers the oil pressure, then flow through the filter should be restricted to bring the pressure back.

I think i understand what you mean.  In an unmodified system trying to force all the oil through a tiny 1/8” NPT fitting and line and then through  a filter and then back to the main oil galley would cause too little flow to the main oil galley....  

the restrictor is as I mentioned in post 4 is the very oil relief valve itself...this controls when and if oil flow through the filter...the repair manual has good description and flow chart to aid in understanding your lubrication and filtering.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Ok, that is what was confusing me. The relief valve is the restrictor and is built into the engine. So, can a full flow filter be used instead of a by-pass filter if the engine already has the relief/restrictor valve? Or, is the internal flow of the full flow filter and by-pass filter different?

• 2 months later...

So to make this simple....using the wix mount and that particular filter ...u mount the adapter,install lines ??? Are they -3 ???? Add oil and your good to go????? No other modifications or adjustment needed.....My 50 B1B didn't come with a filter and if like to add this set up .... thanks Steve

That's all I did. It just takes the place of the optional canister filter. I used 3/16 brake lines. I had to purchase a plug socket to get the square socket plugs out of the block. They were installed tightly and an open end wrench was about to strip the sides off of the square ended plug. Also, the socket allowed me to put an extension on it and give me more room to turn it.