4 speed Trans noise -

Brent B3B

OK you transmission gurus, trying to chase down a transmission noise in the B4D, I recently replace five bearings   

bearings.PNG.573fdd1f9e421ef9dc1f2ac21c65adaa.PNG

the small roller bearing (marked "BB") fell apart  as I took the gears out and, there is not a replacement (for the BB or the AK) that a local bearing company can cross reference for replacement. so, I used that one from a spare transmission I have. the other four bearings are new.

although it has quieted down some, there is still a noise (high pitched noise) that still occurs until I push down on the selector

does this sound like a bearing or bushing issue, in the cluster or in the top?  not sure where to start again

I had a 1st gear bearing go out on my Dakota 5spd, it would make a medium to high pitch rattling noise...we found chunks of the bearing in the case when disassembling...when in tolerance, bearings whir as they rotate, even under load...as the bearing got out of tolerance, it began to roar...sounds like ya got a loose bearing...maybe thicker oil could quiet it down, Lucas Oil had a transmission additive I used on a John Deere gear box that quieted it down and stopped it from leaking :cool:

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JBNeal said:

I had a 1st gear bearing go out on my Dakota 5spd, it would make a medium to high pitch rattling noise...we found chunks of the bearing in the case when disassembling...when in tolerance, bearings whir as they rotate, even under load...as the bearing got out of tolerance, it began to roar...sounds like ya got a loose bearing...maybe thicker oil could quiet it down, Lucas Oil had a transmission additive I used on a John Deere gear box that quieted it down and stopped it from leaking :cool:

OIL ?!?  are you saying I should have put oil back in it?!         :lol: Just kidding, that might be worth a try, I didn't even consider a gear oil solution. I would  usually prefer to DIRTFT (do it right the first time) but not finding the two smaller bearing available,  my "doing it right" maybe limited..... thanks   

1 hour ago, Jeff Balazs said:

I run a semi fluid grease in my 4 speed and this quiets these old trannys down quite a bit. Also makes them shift smoother.  Been driving it daily for 3 years and no change.

Jeff

Jeff, did you add the "semi" to the GL5 like an additive or replace the GL5 with the semi fluid?

not suggesting it is the same, but it kinda reminds me about the myth mechanics would add wood shavings to quiet down the rear deferential and transmissions before they would sell a car.  :) 

• Like 1

From memories of my fathers stories ( the 50's) of where he worked- the local electrical and irrigation supplier (several counties) their 1/2 -2 ton  trucks all had manual transmissions and i'm sure most (if not all) where 4 spd. crash boxes with many repairs needed just using the standard 90 weight gear oils of the day. Someone had heard that adding a can of STP in each 1-2 quarts of gear oil in the transmissions (which they tried) resulted with stopping  almost all the trans repairs required! ?

I would imagine that it may have also quieted them some? Do not remember if that was said though.  ??

DJ

It has the consistency of yogurt. Has to be pumped in. Can't remember the brand name I used but it was from England. It was a fix for vintage motorcycle gearboxes that had leaking leather seals......worked great on them....so I figured I would try it in the old Dodge and it has performed just as I thought it would.

Jeff

3 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

It has the consistency of yogurt. Has to be pumped in. Can't remember the brand name I used but it was from England. It was a fix for vintage motorcycle gearboxes that had leaking leather seals......worked great on them....so I figured I would try it in the old Dodge and it has performed just as I thought it would.

Jeff

A similar product can be found a JD dealers as 'corn head grease'.  Lots is used in leaky steering gears by old car guys.  Yogurt-like is a good description.  Under gear pressure it become liquid but doesn't leak from seals. 

3 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

From memories of my fathers stories ( the 50's) of where he worked- the local electrical and irrigation supplier (several counties) their 1/2 -2 ton  trucks all had manual transmissions and i'm sure most (if not all) where 4 spd. crash boxes with many repairs needed just using the standard 90 weight gear oils of the day. Someone had heard that adding a can of STP in each 1-2 quarts of gear oil in the transmissions (which they tried) resulted with stopping  almost all the trans repairs required! ?

I would imagine that it may have also quieted them some? Do not remember if that was said though.  ??

DJ

STP does work to make them quieter and smooth shifts.  But, beware, in Cold weather 80w90 with STP is really stiff.  I've seen old truck 4-5 speeds that wouldn't start with the clutch out in neutral as the lube slowed cranking so much.

15 minutes ago, kencombs said:

STP does work to make them quieter and smooth shifts.  But, beware, in Cold weather 80w90 with STP is really stiff.  I've seen old truck 4-5 speeds that wouldn't start with the clutch out in neutral as the lube slowed cranking so much. 

Well this is No. Ca. so a few days at 25+degree days were the norm in winter the rest more like 40 degree+.  So depending on location??

DJ

On 8/24/2018 at 5:46 PM, kencombs said:

A similar product can be found a JD dealers as 'corn head grease'.  Lots is used in leaky steering gears by old car guys.  Yogurt-like is a good description.  Under gear pressure it become liquid but doesn't leak from seals. 

I don't know if the corn head grease can handle the temps seen in this application.....I am sure it is OK in a steering box. The grease I was talking about works fine in high speed and temp equipment.

Jeff

Corn head grease is for slow speed gear boxes.... NLGI #0... I don't think it will lube the 4 speed either..

• Thanks 1