Engine pre-oiling

tanda62

While I am not quite there yet, I am wondering about engine pre-oiling for these flatheads.  Specifically for my 1953 218.  For those of you who have done this where did you connect the lines?  What equipment did you use?

Here is an article about pre-oiling in case anyone is wondering what this is - https://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/94860/engine-pre-oiling-a-critical-procedure-for-any-fresh-engine

Thanks,

Tom

I think that is what assembly lube is for and/or turning it over manually a few times prior to running.  After break in I drained the first oil and replaced with fresh (getting rid of assembly lube)

Assembly lube is good for a revolution or two at most. Factory manual recommends using an external pre lube system. TO do the job right you need one of these: 

• Thanks 1

I use this...

Engine Pre Oiler tank (4).JPG

• Thanks 1

I've used a Sure Shot sprayer with an adapter hose and fittings.  Everyone needs a Sure shot sprayer anyway.  Best thing I've ever used to spray lots of penetrating oil, degreasers etc when working on our vehicles.  I need to make up another hose as I gave mine away when I thought I was through with working on cars.

But now I'm gathering stuff do do some major work on my 56 pickup. 

I started disassembly on my spare engine and found perfect 10/10 230 crank.  Another yeilded a nice set of 60 over pistons will little use but in a cracked block.   Time to drag out the valve grinding stuff!

Good info so far but for those who have done this where did you connect the lines?  There looks to be a place behind the starter that may work or did you connect where the oil pressure line goes?

Thanks, Tom

Using a pressure tank... you connect right into any plug opening along the oil galley. .. on the drivers side of the block.

20lbs is enough..

• Thanks 2