Wheel cylinders and parts

Norm Knowles

Hi All - need help.  I am doing a major overhaul of the brake system in my 48 Dodge D25C and am having a lot of trouble getting parts for cylinders in both front and rear wheels.  I have found several possibilities for them in E Bay but do not know which to get.  I have noticed in several submissions from members over many parts that off shore products may be junk and will not have a good service life.  I need some advice on the best product as E bay has several e.g. Raybestos and Dorman etc.  Or is it advisable to get mine rebuilt??  Maybe someone knows of another good supplier.  Thanks for any and all comments.

Any auto supply can get replacement cylinders but they will be offshore.  

If you need the numbers, send me a PM and I will look them up   There are 4 distinct cylinders for the front and  

the rears are the same number on each side    46 through 56 are all alike

Here are the wheel cylinder numbers for the 1946-49 D24:

Front right U-EW10581  L-EW10583

Front Left  U-EW10580  l- EW10582

U= upper  L=Lower

rear R  EW10588

Rear L EW10588

This info was taken from my EIS brake catalog and this is the same number across all manufacturers of wheel cylinders.

NOS is always better than the new chinese crap

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Don't hone and kit the cylinders. Buy new or have them re-sleeved/ rebuilt.

I'm 80 in September, my new cylinder parts cane yesterday but I don't recall who they cane from!  It seems they cane in the mail via the US postal service. Does that mean they were mfg inUSA? 

Edited by pflaming

On 8/22/2018 at 12:58 PM, Norm Knowles said:

Thanks to all but for dpollo I have checked with NAPA and two other auto parts dealers before submitting my request and no one can find the kits available.

I thought you were looking for complete cylinders.

Here are the Raybestos numbers      WC 10580   10581  10582  10583    rear   10588    front hose  BH 10595

the original cylinders  have a doughnut shaped cup  1 1/8   #9700      replacement cylinders use a standard 1 1/8 cup       refer to Dodge B4ya's remarks.

I would look for NOS parts over the cheap new parts ask the seller if they are newly made or if they are old parts. If you can see a picture of the box they come in this will also help you determine if they are the good old american made parts and not the overseas parts.

Rich Hartung