Modern wheel old hubcap question

eoj702003

So I'm about done with my '52 Pilothouse build and the final time is wheels.  It's had the same aftermarket wheels on it since I bought it over 10 years ago. So I do not have the original wheels. Also the rear end was swapped out when I bought it so I have to figure out the bolt pattern etc. 

My question is that I have a set of original dog dish hubcaps, does anyone know if there is new modern steel or smoothie steel wheel that will work with the original dog dish hubcaps?

Cheers,

Joe

IMG_1302.JPG

EOJ -

Bolt pattern is "4.5 on 5."

The "barrels" on my wheels were rotted so I needed new rims (16"), but I wanted to retain the original hubcaps.  I spoke about it with The Wheelsmith.  They had me send them my old rims, they removed the centers and put them in new "barrels" with as close to the same setback as possible.  Had them powdercoated at the same time.  With freight from Texas to California, it cost me just over $800.  But they look great, my hubcaps still fit, no problems with the width for modern tires, tubeless and no rust.  Quite happy with the end result.

BTW, like color of your truck :)

passenger_side_full_profile.JPG

Edited by Bobacuda
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bobacuda said:

EOJ -

Bolt pattern is "4.5 on 5."

The "barrels" on my wheels were rotted so I needed new rims (16"), but I wanted to retain the original hubcaps.  I spoke about it with The Wheelsmith.  They had me send them my old rims, they removed the centers and put them in new "barrels" with as close to the same setback as possible.  Had them powdercoated at the same time.  With freight from Texas to California, it cost me just over $800.  But they look great, my hubcaps still fit, no problems with the width for modern tires, tubeless and no rust.  Quite happy with the end result.

BTW, like color of your truck :)

passenger_side_full_profile.JPG

With powder coat freight etc.. $200 a wheel seems reasonable. Nice truck. If I was going to buy a pilot house it'd have to be a 53

Thanks for the info, I'll check out Wheelsmith.  

Follow-up question - Has anyone used the wheel hub cap clips https://dcmclassics.com/suspension-parts/290-wc-541-wheel-hub-cap-clip.html with new off the shelf wheels like these https://www.cokertire.com/wheels/steel-wheels/smoothie-wheel-primed.html. (this wheel is only an example)???

Thanks

If your rim is not "shaped" like the factory rim, the clips won't help.  They are replacements for busted clips.  Check Wheelsmith.  I think they have an option to use your hubcap on their stock steelie, but it won't look original.  Have you thought of asking if anyone on this site has a set of correct rims to sell? 

So comparing costs of finding/buying original rims, then having to buy replacement clips, sandblasting and painting/powdercoating etc. I'm going to go with Wheelsmith, the pricing will be the same if not cheaper for powder coated wheels with slightly modifying my original hubcaps. Plus I can go a bit wider than stock and maybe go to a 16in.  I think if mine was more original I may really try to go the stock route, but I have the stainless bed sides and running boards and a hemi with a 700R4.