Took the Purple People Eater to its first cruise in / show yesterday

thebelvedereman

Took the purple people eater to its first cruise in yesterday, it was also the first time that I've driven the car for any distance, roughly 20 miles each way, car runs great and drives great, had a few issues, about halfway to the show the sky's turned black and it started downpouring, and a big wind gust took the center support of my visor out, so I had to tie a piece of wire from the visor down to one of the windshield wipers, and I also lost the passenger side cowl molding somewhere between home and the show, very unhappy about that, I spent 3 hours today driving back and forth along the Route seeing if I could find it anywhere, but had no luck

20180818_161521.jpg

20180818_164250.jpg

20180818_164221-1.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! It always feels great when they fire up when leaving the show and you make it back home. Did the same this weekend on a 70 mi. round trip. All was good when I pulled back in the shop, even with the 90 degree heat. 

• Like 1

Just got done fabricating new wiper rubber like I did on the 48 Plymouth so I have wipers again, I got a 22 in Blade from Walmart with the same size rubber, took it all apart cut the rubber in half installed it on my metal, and slid it back into the wiper blades, now if I can just find that damn piece of side molding that I lost, or locate another one, I'd be the happiest guy in the world, I want it back on the car before lead East in 2 weeks, I have one for my 48 Plymouth, but it's not quite the same the Dodge has a line going down the center

20180819_133352.jpg

20180819_134052.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlashBuddy said:

Nice rubber idea. Too many keys!

That's my two small sets of keys LOL, the smaller one only has the keys for the 47 on it, the bigger 1 has my house keys and keys for five or six my other vehicles and motorcycles, my big keychain that I keep in my toolbox has keys from all the rest of my vehicles and my shop and just about everything else I own and toolbox and all kinds of other crap and that one is three times the size of those 2 it's got about 50 keys on it LOL

1 hour ago, FlashBuddy said:

Nice rubber idea. Too many keys!

And that's the hood of my 2000 Jeep Cherokee, AKA "my workshop" also known as my "Parts getter" as you can see i painted about 50 different things on the hood of it LOL it's also my daily driver :)

Edited by thebelvedereman

when i replaced the trim beltline modling on my 39 Desoto They had used the metal clips. But as you can see the metal clips rust from the rain and then the cowl molding gets loos and then falls off.  The person that painted my 39 told me to use plastic clips that had a  tip with ripples and this would hold the modling tight against the body and the  molding and the clip was very snug together. Plus this also eliminated the rusting issue and also the issue of when you pressed in the metal clip of chipping the paint where the clip was pressed into the body.  Mine has been onthe car since 1996, 20 years.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

when i replaced the trim beltline modling on my 39 Desoto They had used the metal clips. But as you can see the metal clips rust from the rain and then the cowl molding gets loos and then falls off.  The person that painted my 39 told me to use plastic clips that had a  tip with ripples and this would hold the modling tight against the body and the  molding and the clip was very snug together. Plus this also eliminated the rusting issue and also the issue of when you pressed in the metal clip of chipping the paint where the clip was pressed into the body.  Mine has been onthe car since 1996, 20 years.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com 

Well I assume that the ones on the moldings on this car are the originals, they sure look like The Originals on the piece that fell off

You can fabricate a cowl moulding if you have an extra door moulding.   Stainless is hard to work with but this can look good  until you find the right piece.

15 minutes ago, dpollo said:

You can fabricate a cowl moulding if you have an extra door moulding.   Stainless is hard to work with but this can look good  until you find the right piece.

I'm just going to use the spare one that I have from my 48 Plymouth until I can find another, it's not quite the same but I don't have any spare trim for the Dodge to make one out of, there's two on eBay but they're both the wrong side

Well, the Plymouth trim doesn't fit, it's about three quarters of an inch too long, I would just cut it to fit, but I'm sure I will have another Plymouth  sooner than later , I did get my wheel bearings greased though LOL, they were dry as a bone, I guess that's what happens when a car sits in the garage for 35 years :)

well another 40 mile round trip in the books yesterday without any issues, except running one red light LOL, tried my best to stop just couldn't do it, the light went green yellow red all in one movement, and I was doing 45 miles an hour, there shouldn't be a traffic light on a highway anyway LOL

just doing a little routine maintenance on the on the Dodge before I go to the cruise night tonight, checking the oil making sure everything's tight, I decided to check the head bolts, it's amazing my car had any compression and no leaks, the torque on all the head bolts were between 30 and 35 foot pounds, and some even less :)

Yes......you can find usable plastic clips nowadays, plus there are some metal ones that you break off the

bar to the desired length.  And, I think, some with metal "whiskers" that you kind of twist into the piece of

trim.  There are some fellows selling reproduction trim clips for our old cars also, if you can find them.

I didn't realize how different the Dodge stainless is from the P15 trim.  Your photos helped.

Edited by BobT-47P15

IF you find a another trim piece....do yourself a favor and cut a metal strip the length and width of the trim, drill alignment holes to that of the original clip and the cut small indents on the metal at these hole positions from the edge...to allow folding up to capture the bolts you are now going to insert and bolt this piece in place...access is available from inside cowl...also makes it hard for the man who is missing one of these from just helping themselves....

well another 50 Flawless miles in the book, back and forth to lead East yesterday, and heading back there in about an hour this morning, not a lot of Our Generation Mopars at the show, but a whole lot of Mopars at the show this year, good to see,  there was one really nice 1937 DeSoto with a 5.7 Hemi in it, I have pictures on my other phone I just have to upload them

20180901_123548.jpg

Now I understand why lead East is 5 days long, there is no possible way you could look at all the cars in a single day, or even two days, there was somewhere around 4,000 cars there yesterday , hopefully there will be almost as many today

On 8/20/2018 at 8:15 AM, thebelvedereman said:

Just got done fabricating new wiper rubber like I did on the 48 Plymouth so I have wipers again, I got a 22 in Blade from Walmart with the same size rubber, took it all apart cut the rubber in half installed it on my metal, and slid it back into the wiper blades, now if I can just find that damn piece of side molding that I lost, or locate another one, I'd be the happiest guy in the world, I want it back on the car before lead East in 2 weeks, I have one for my 48 Plymouth, but it's not quite the same the Dodge has a line going down the center

20180819_133352.jpg

20180819_134052.jpg

I like the wiper interchange!  Very crafty indeed.  I am bummed about your trim...  I hope that you find it by some strange act of luck.