I have a problem with carburation and/or fuel delivery

51PlymouthFastback

My car has developed a really frustrating problem, I'm hoping one of you can help me with. First, a little about my engine. I've got a Plymouth Flathead 6 bored .60 over, and running an Edgy head and dual carb intake. I have two Speedway 9 Super 7 carbs, and the Langdon's HEI distributor.

Recently my car developed this hacking coughing kind of stutter as I accelerate through 1st and 2nd gear. If I can get the car up to a good cruising speed in 3rd gear, the problem seems to go away. It feels like the gas is getting intermittently blocked then released. When it's 'coughing' I lose all power.

When the car is just sitting there idling, I can rev the engine and it does not do it. Only when under load, and moving forward.

Any ideas?

My first check would be the fuel filter/s. Fuel pumps are low pressure and it doesn't take much restriction in the filters to starve your carbs as you move up in the Rs. Sounds like once you get to cruz speed and back off things settle down. I had a similar issue and pulled one of the glass inline filters off mine, noticed right away when I blew through it ( you should have no restriction) and cleaned it out. That solved my issue. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 51PlymouthFastback said:

My car has developed a really frustrating problem, I'm hoping one of you can help me with. First, a little about my engine. I've got a Plymouth Flathead 6 bored .60 over, and running an Edgy head and dual carb intake. I have two Speedway 9 Super 7 carbs, and the Langdon's HEI distributor.

Recently my car developed this hacking coughing kind of stutter as I accelerate through 1st and 2nd gear. If I can get the car up to a good cruising speed in 3rd gear, the problem seems to go away. It feels like the gas is getting intermittently blocked then released. When it's 'coughing' I lose all power.

When the car is just sitting there idling, I can rev the engine and it does not do it. Only when under load, and moving forward.

Any ideas?

I had this same issue.In this sympton is fuel pump with poor stroke.Good luck.

• Like 1

Fernando; I just replaced the fuel pump because it was leaking (crack where the fitting is seated) and put in a brand new one. It's still doing it.

Veemoney. I looked at the fuel filter, and while there is stuff floating around in there, it doesn't look like it's anywhere near enough to cause my problem. That being said, at this point I will replace it any way just to be thorough. I'll check the vacuum line as well, although I have to mention that all rubber hoses in there are pretty new. Vacuum, Fuel line, etc.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

After doing some of the things mentioned here, I took my buddy for a test drive, and it was still doing the coughing and hesitating. At that point he declared, "It's a misfire!" So, we parked it, got back under the hood and took another look. First thing we did was look under the distributor cap, where we found a build up of dust or crud on one of the contact points that is the underside of the terminals on top of the cap.

I cleaned the under side of the cap with brake cleaner and cleaned all the contact points plus the rotor tip with 1500 grit sand paper. Gave it some nice clean contacts. We took it for another test drive and it ran great!

Thanks everyone for all the great tips.

11 hours ago, 51PlymouthFastback said:
PROBLEM SOLVED.

After doing some of the things mentioned here, I took my buddy for a test drive, and it was still doing the coughing and hesitating. At that point he declared, "It's a misfire!" So, we parked it, got back under the hood and took another look. First thing we did was look under the distributor cap, where we found a build up of dust or crud on one of the contact points that is the underside of the terminals on top of the cap.

I cleaned the under side of the cap with brake cleaner and cleaned all the contact points plus the rotor tip with 1500 grit sand paper. Gave it some nice clean contacts. We took it for another test drive and it ran great!

Thanks everyone for all the great tips.

:cool: Be available.

Distribuidor Dodge minha 006.JPG