1950 B2C for possible purchase. No Syncros

Hello again:

You all have been very helpful.

Seller took me out for drive, (and he said 'I'll drive it first to let you get 'taste' of what 'she' is). This is a 4 speed trans (standard for era , 3/4ton), w/ a 'low,low' as first gear  in the left upper position of shift pattern.   2 thru 4 is what usually is 1 thru 3 in  standard 3 speed. What I noticed is,  he double-clutched each time he shifted as he said 'no syncros', When I drove it, by golly he was right!

My 39 Ford has (old, orig, pretty well worn) syncros for 2nd and 3rd. But prior to the 39, I had a 29 Model A Ford . This had no syncros, but if you shifted easily, you may have heard/felt small 'crunch' when you went into next gear, but you did'nt have to double clutch. If I had to down shift, yes, had to double clutch.  Is double clutching in normal driving typical for this generation Dodge PU?

Again, any information is helpful,  as it appears I'm starting to experience a 'learning curve' for this generation Dodge PU.

Thanks,

John

Double clutching is the easy way. If you practice you can shift up and down without using the clutch. Just have to match the engine speeds while shifting. Once you get the hang of it you will only need the clutch for starting and stopping.  You would only use the compound low for stating out when you have a heavy load, lot easier on the clutch. 

• Like 2

I'm a Newbie too, Dad-Par. I've only driven my '51 three times since buying it recently. It, too, needs to be double clutched to shift, and like you, it seems, I need more practice. I've learned to double clutch pretty easily going from second to third, I suppose, because the truck is already rolling along and doesn't seem to 'die' when I'm doing the clutch twice; plus, I've learned that you don't need to push the clutch peddle all the way into the floor; just a quick, and I mean quick partial push will do the trick. For me, I need to practice more on going from first into second. The truck does 'die' when I'm doing it. I think I'm taking too long w/the shift. Also, if you want to cheat, just skip starting out in the first gear. Problem solved. ?

14 minutes ago, Dodgeed said:

I'm a Newbie too, Dad-Par. I've only driven my '51 three times since buying it recently. It, too, needs to be double clutched to shift, and like you, it seems, I need more practice. I've learned to double clutch pretty easily going from second to third, I suppose, because the truck is already rolling along and doesn't seem to 'die' when I'm doing the clutch twice; plus, I've learned that you don't need to push the clutch peddle all the way into the floor; just a quick, and I mean quick partial push will do the trick. For me, I need to practice more on going from first into second. The truck does 'die' when I'm doing it. I think I'm taking too long w/the shift. Also, if you want to cheat, just skip starting out in the first gear. Problem solved. ?

Are you double clutching with a 3 speed trans? That should have synchronizers. If it's a 4 speed then yes, skip 1st gear unless you are heavily loaded and pulling up a hill.

1 minute ago, Merle Coggins said:

Are you double clutching with a 3 speed trans? That should have synchronizers. If it's a 4 speed then yes, skip 1st gear unless you are heavily loaded and pulling up a hill.

Yes, it is a three on the tree. No synchronizers. I was told that that didn't start until the following model year. 

As far as I know all 3 speeds were synchronized since at least the 40's. The B-2 series, in 1950, was the first year that the trucks used the column shift 3 speed and it was certainly a synchronized transmission, at least in 2nd and 3rd. If you need to double clutch your shifts your synchronizers are not functioning properly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2018 at 7:45 AM, Merle Coggins said:

As far as I know all 3 speeds were synchronized since at least the 40's. The B-2 series, in 1950, was the first year that the trucks used the column shift 3 speed and it was certainly a synchronized transmission, at least in 2nd and 3rd. If you need to double clutch your shifts your synchronizers are not functioning properly.

the 3spd in my 46 is syncronized but its kinda worn so I still have to double clutch 2-3.