Wheels and tires

tanda62

Got my wheels back from the painter and I think they are gonna look great on the Red truck.  The color is from the formula given by Don Bunn and is supposed to be a close match for the original Dodge Truck Cream.  I think it is more yellow than cream but will look very period for a 1953 vehicle as they sure liked color back then unlike today with all the silver, white or black cars.

The tires are from Coker and are the correct 7.00 by 15 for the truck and were surprisingly in stock.  They are bias ply but this truck will not see the highway and with a 4:10 rearend it will be interesting to see if it can go over 60 mph.  It will be able to tool around town which is what I want it to do anyway.?

Tom

Wheels painted.gif

New tires.gif

• Like 2

Love the tires and your willingness to go Sans radial. Trying to paint my wheels now but not going so good. Currently stuck on horrible epoxy primer.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/46119-roxanne-she-dont-have-to-put-on-the-red-light/?do=findComment&comment=510663

I wanted to pay a pro to do them, but balked at the $450 price tag. Does that seem high or am I just price sensitve?

It is great to see your color - another thing I lost sleep over, but I think what I cam up with is pretty darn close to what you have. Hope you post more pics as it comes together.

450.00 to paint a set of wheels...you did not state scope of job..if just to bomb them with a smattering of color...extremely over the top....but if that was to take the wheels, break them down, sandblast...shoot with primer surfacer and sand till they are smooth even finish, then paint and mount and balance tires...then yes still high but shops have overhead and employees to pay and odds are he incorporated the cost of sending them out to a professional sandblaster, they get their cut too.....450.00 will be ballpark for some new retro style wheels wide enough for todays modern radials...  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

On 8/20/2018 at 12:37 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

450.00 to paint a set of wheels...you did not state scope of job..if just to bomb them with a smattering of color...extremely over the top....but if that was to take the wheels, break them down, sandblast...shoot with primer surfacer and sand till they are smooth even finish, then paint and mount and balance tires...then yes still high but shops have overhead and employees to pay and odds are he incorporated the cost of sending them out to a professional sandblaster, they get their cut too.....450.00 will be ballpark for some new retro style wheels wide enough for todays modern radials...  

In California, 450.00 might get the material and possibly part of the labor.  That is if you bring them in already cleaned and blasted.  At 175.00-200.00/hr, the price moves quickly.

Adam

• Thanks 1