1950 B2C engine shutter/vibration when 'goose' or increase idle

Hello everyone!

Believe this is my first post on DPETCA.  Looking at a 1950 B2C for possible purchase (116" wb), believe its 218ci (3.6L) L6.  Noticed when you 'goose' at idle, there is a vibration/shutter when rpm comes up. Engine does Not stumble.  Accelerates fine. I was a  bit surprised at this. These old flatheads usually run very smooth. I've got an Orig 39 Ford flathead 85hp. Not sure if it's carb related, or old motor mount going bad.

Also would this1950 Dodge B2C be equipped with tube or tubeless tires? Looks like orig rims, could'nt tell by looking at valve stem, even bending them to see closer.  Truck had very standard looking pretty recent looking P225/75r15 standard narrow whitewall tires. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Check the front and back motor mounts.

It would have tubeless rims.  225 tire is about the widest you want to go. It I was doing it again I would go back down to a 205 tire. 

The "C" is a 3/4 ton model.  

Is the shutter/vibration coming under acceleration under load, or with no load? I concur with the engine mount checking. Could also be a rear spring shackle issue, allowing a little axle hop, or twist that puts the u-joints in a bind. 

The 3/4 ton trucks originally would have had tubes with bias ply tires but can be cleaned up and used tubeless with modern tires. I’m running 235/75R-15’s on mine. It should have 5-1/2” wide rims. 

Thanks P15-D24 and Merle Coggins:

Shutter/vibration is coming from the engine , under the hood, at stand still,  when you 'goose' at idle,  each and every time I goosed it.  Did'nt seem to notice at acceleration, and seem to accelerate fine, although only drove it 1 time.

Thanks for info on rims.

And yes this is 3/4 Ton,. Most 3/4 ton and heavier (1 ton, etc) that I have seen and worked on have a 'floating' rear axle. with axle flange cover with 6-8 bolts you remove, remove lock ring or spider ring and (not castle nut and cage w/cotter pin) then pull axle shaft from axle tube. Axle tube takes weight of rear portion of truck not axle shaft itself. I did pop rear hubcap off and saw it looked like standard castle nut, cage and cotter pin, and, typical for era, hub on brake drum for puller setup,  which probrably means,  tappered keyed set up on axle. So question is, is rear axle weight bearing on this generation Dodge PU on axle shaft itself or axle tube?

Thanks,

John

3/4 T did not use a floater, only the one tons. Difference from the 1/2 tons is the 3/4 T axle has more splines. Other than that is is just like the 1/2 axle.