Overdrive Questions

leadheavy52

I have searched, but unfortunately have not come up with much information, so I once again must turn to the gurus.

I have a chance to snag an Overdrive from a 1948 Plymouth. It's local and only $300.  Would this fit in my '52 Suburban and are there ways to make it work if it's not an straight bolt up? If so, what should I look for to ensure it is a decent buy? 

-Austin

Buy it before it's gone.I would.My P15 has a 52 Dodge overdrive. I changed the pilot shaft and a fast second gear change.Bolted right up.If it don't work for you, I'll buy it,then you wont have it cluttering up the place.

Overdrive was not an option in 1948 but it was in 1952, so I would think you should have no problem other than possibly shifter linkage which you would use your original linkage I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s the best option you can do to improve the drivability I had everything in place to install a 5 speed trans but once I got the overdrive trans figured out I knew I was keeping it. 

I bought the overdrive unit. It’s the right one, being the R10G-1. I have all the necessary electronics and linkage to make it work. Overall, it seems like a good deal and I am excited to better the highway ability of my car. Thanks for all the input! 

The overdrive offers some very nice options, third and over on the highway the most obvious. In my experiences, I grew up with overdrives, second and over is nearly as nice especially in mountainous driving or mid range traffic speed. Good choice and best to you?