Driveshaft - Pinion Angle

Conn47D24
Go to solution Solved by Conn47D24,

Navigating through the web of information here and elsewhere I had seen reference to the Angle of the pinion or driveshaft.

My engine will be in soon ( er, or later ) and this gave me one more thing to double check with you all.

The rear axle has been rebuilt and re-installed with new springs.   I recall that there was / is a small bump or short dowel part of the axle housing that fit into a hole in the 

leaf spring plates on each side.  I felt at the time that this was the guide to setting the pinion against the driveshaft correctly.

This is all stock, engine driveshaft and axle.

Will I be all set with this " Angle " ??

Thanks ALL !

Clay

bolt it up and let the big dog eat...I would however suggest to anyone that has disturbed a drivetrain and reinstalling to pay close attention the condition of the rear shackle bushing as tend to get beaten out of shape and cause the rear axle to bit a bit out of kilter that could show as a vibration or 'shuddering' on take off.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kencombs said:

That angle is set when the spring seat is welded to the axle housing.  The 'small bump' you noted is actually the head of the tie bolt that holds the spring pack together. It fits into the spring seat to position the axle longitudinally.  

I once had this bolt holding the spring pack together shear off. This allowed the axle to shift on the spring perch and the car began to dog track destroying the rear shock.

bs2.jpg

bs1.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Solution
5 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

bolt it up and let the big dog eat...I would however suggest to anyone that has disturbed a drivetrain and reinstalling to pay close attention the condition of the rear shackle bushing as tend to get beaten out of shape and cause the rear axle to bit a bit out of kilter that could show as a vibration or 'shuddering' on take off.