Score: New car -1, Plymouth +1

TodFitch

Got back from being overseas for over a couple of weeks and needed to stock up with fresh food. Went out to the garage and the 2017 was dead (-1 points). Hopped in the '33 Plymouth, cranked it on over and it fired up in a couple of seconds so I drove it to the market (+1 points).

New car has a ton of electronics that are always on and being a hybrid the 12 "aux" battery is quite small so it apparently did not have enough capacity to last without the car being started in a couple of weeks. I guess I need to put a trickle charger on it if I'm not going to be driving it for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

Did you get a new Prius? 

My 2004 Prius died when a trash truck backed into it: The repair cost was more than the 14 year old 200+K mileage car was valued at.

Got a 2017 Prius Prime. So far averaging about 84 MPG with it, current tank is over 110 MPG. And it qualifies for the car pool lane stickers which helps if/when I have to get somewhere on a freeway.

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

get a horse....their battery never dies.

I suspect feed and care of a horse would exceed the cost of a trickle charger, especially since I already have a trickle charger left over from a different application. Not sure the neighbors in this fairly densely developed beach town would appreciate a stable either.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

Well,  Tod, the Prius in the enclosed video probably does not get that sort of mileage.

https://interestingengineering.com/video/this-modified-prius-easily-outdoes-a-dodge-challenger-srt-demon-in-a-drag-race

I think that when you replace the entire drivetrain, including converting from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive, you can't really call it a Prius anymore. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

Sounds more like battle of the batteries and less about the cars.

48D

On the old car when the key is off, the light switch off, etc. there is draw on the battery. A decent battery should hold its charge for quite some time.

On the new car, nothing is really ever off. The keyless entry system is always listening for a key, the infotainment system is keeping its clock powered, etc. Any car like that will eventually drain the battery if it is not started. The question is how long will it take. I was expecting it to be good after three weeks and I was wrong. If I don't put a trickle charger on it, I should at least pull a battery cable off if it is going to be parked for a while.