every wonder where all the good old cars are?

casper50

13 hours ago, casper50 said:

He can't possibly do anything with all those cars in his lifetime.  Does the word HOARDER mean anything?

Lotsa cool stuff!! I can't possibly do anything with the ones I have in my lifetime and there are plenty more on here in the same position. It useta bug me a little but now I just smile and live with it.  ?

• Like 1

realistically I am in the same boat....but I flat out like the particular makes and models I currently own and enjoy having them at the house and am having fun.  My kids and grandkids will have a good time with them I am sure....if not, they should have cleaned their room when I told them...payback time!!

• Like 1

You could look at it in another way. When the time comes for having to sell off the collection there becomes more cars and parts on the market which in turn could help extend the hobby for the fortunate ones that buy them.

• Like 1

I had a cousin who had a yard with several hundred vehicles in it. In fact that’s where my first b1b came from in1981. Both parents died and the kids had a crusher come in and all gone.  I heard about it months later. Sucks. 

crusher...quick easy money..others doing the work, you get paid...property cleaned fast for speedy market listings of property....done and done....seen it many times myself...one guy lost his property and cars to the EPA who bent over backwards trying to work with him and his stubborn arrogance got in the way, lost it all.......don't feel bad for him one bit....nice bunch of collector cars ALL got crushed....upwards of 200

Their was a junkyard just a few miles from where I live now. An old man had owned it for as long as I remember.  He always had the old stuff 30's to 60's a few early  70's. He always had the hard to find stuff, unusual and odd models. Back in about '71 the Chevy dealer sold out, changed hands, whatever. I remember people telling me he bought out the complete parts dept. I don't think this was  the only time he did this or brand.  At that time I didn't understand the value of NOS parts or genuine OEM.  I loved to walk through his yard and just look at all the possible projects and possibilities. I never bought much from him because he was considerably higher than the other yards. He was a one stop shop though, he usually had what you might be looking for.  He passed away about 10yrs ago. I remember hearing through the grapevine that his family was selling everything cheap and had brought a mobile crusher in.  I hurried up there, I knew he had a 47 Plymouth 5 man coupe there and wanted to see about it. I got there and was really heart broken to see all the crushed cars stacked up.  So many good parts mashed and ruined.  I saw the 47 and was in time to save it.  It was much rougher than I had remembered ( it's always this way, right?).  I bought the car for $200 bucks, had $50 in a tow bill to get it home.  This car had the rare factory turn signal indicator on the dash.  I used some parts to help my 46 coupe project, sold and saved all I could.  I hate seeing good parts and cars go to waste. I also hate seeing all the good parts sources disappear. I guess that's life though.

I remember seeing a 59 Lincoln there, it appeared as if it was driven in. Me and a friend talked about what an expensive car it was when new and the miles of chrome on it.  Only one I guess I've ever seen. 

• 2 weeks later...

I lived close to the famous Lamprecht auction and grew up walking from Grandmas house past it every time I had to go to the store or Saturday night movies etc.

His collection was stored out on his farm at last, WHICH just happened to be next to the towns 'golf course'.  MR.  Lamprecht was adamant about NOT selling anything for 70 years.  IF his kids would have waited till he passed away about a year later (MAYBE from a broken heart, who knows) they would not have to pay ANY income tax on a stepped up basis.  They would have paid about 1% to the state and a little inheritance tax but not nearly the amount, probably half of 6 million.

My guess of the arm twisting done to make him sell was, somebody of influence from the golf course or three, dropped the dime and complained to State DNR about all that crankcase , transmission, rearend oil fouling the water aquafer.

Speaking of this sale I personally KNOW 1 guy who  bought his old chevy back and had it nut and bolt restored someplace.  It is a gorgeous beautiful car.  Does anyone know of any others that came from that sale that is or is now restored?  My fear is 90% of those  frames down in the dirt was sold as rebuildable and are too far gone. Rusted to nothing