HELP needed : wiper linkage bushing and more help needed

Thomba48

Murphys law - what I currently touch turns into another piece of additional work. Quite annoying.

Having repaired - so I believe - the wiper motor itself I noticed:

a) The grommets/ bushing in the wiper arm linkage are dried up and crumble away. Where can I get those one - they are different insofar as the inside is in the shape of a nut.

b) One nut screw is missing - a nut that connects the wiper motor arm with the linkage - any idea where I can get this, the are different because of itheir height

c) E clip - I simply can not find an e-clip over here that is both small and long enough tö hold down the linkage 

thanks for all your help.

thom

Edited by Thomba48

Thomba,

I had a similar problem. I took a couple of hex-nuts of appropriate size, and drilled out the threaded hole to the needed size. As for the e-clips, I bought new ones, but the groove in the mechanism just wasn’t deep enough to securely retain them, so I put the arms into a drill-press-vise, and drilled a small hole cross-wise in the shafts, and used a spring clip with one end thru the hole. Altho’ not original—problem solved.

• Haha 1

the clips are special....did you disassemble this first without taking notes.....if nothing else when doing jobs such as this...a dot of different color paint on each linkage and corresponding post will save you tons of time and headaches...this paint dot will also aid on what side is up.....I am thinking Restoration Specialties has this clip..not sure of the rubber grommets.  

22 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the clips are special....did you disassemble this first without taking notes.....if nothing else when doing jobs such as this...a dot of different color paint on each linkage and corresponding post will save you tons of time and headaches...this paint dot will also aid on what side is up.....I am thinking Restoration Specialties has this clip..not sure of the rubber grommets.  

Hi,

the original set-up consisted of something that might have once been a clip but rusted away into the nowhere the moment I looked at it. So thanks for your hint.

Thom

2 hours ago, 9 foot box said:

I bought my wiper arm grommets from Macs 51a-17562. They also had two length of retainer springs for holding the  wiper arms to the motor .  

Thanks - and the fact that the inside is not hex shaped did not make any impact on the actual performance? thanks

Admittingly a goog throw - but one with a very negative side effect.

My boy decided to pick-up the wiper motor, resulting in the only hex nut available becoming loose. Next on the agenda was a good throw into the garden. And now, nowhere to be found. Buggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ? Not his fault. But very, very annoying. 

I checked the parts book. No help. Does anybody have this particular hex nut (linkage between the wiper motor and the actual linkage arrm, rests inside the bushing etc.) dimensions so I can get replacements? thanks

And yes - you are all allowed to start laughing ?

• Sad 1

Thomba,

Nope, I’m not about to laugh at someone else’s trials, even tho’ I may have “been there-don that”. Using the parts from Mac’s originally intended for a Ford will work just fine, as long as the grommets fit within the hex-holes in the wiper shafts. Use a washer slightly larger than the hex-hole, and retain it with a clip. You’re good to go.

I did forget to mention that when I fabricated my hex-nut “fix” to this same problem, I had to file them both down, as there were too thick in their original form, and I couldn’t get the tiny cotter pin thru the hole, as the hex-nuts were almost as thick as the mounting shaft was long. This all occurred when I had a modicum of interest in the car.

Live and learn—another problem (called a challenge in med school . . .), overcome. Warmest regards to you . . . .

• Haha 1