Ecodiesel Files

Worden18

Keith, we have in-floor heat and love it.  We keep the house at 75 degrees... no way I'm busting my butt making all this wood and then allow myself to freeze on top of that.  

Greg g, I'd be too embarrassed to show you my wood pile, I can't stack worth it damn!

My dad's place only had a one car garage he wanted to add a lean to style addition to it so he didn't need to deal with ice and snow after mom claimed the garage spot. He went to the town office to get a building permit.  Came home fit to be tied with the village clerk, the Town supervisor, the zoning guy, the building inspector and the assessor.  All their crap about plans, engineers reports, drainage concerns, percolation tests, property line set backs, taxes,etc.  He was cutting and burning wood at the time.  So he stacked his  eight or so face cords for "next year" in an "L" shaped configuration with the long side about seven feet high and the opening facing the street.  And to keep it dry, he ran some rafters from the garage roof over to the long wall and covered them with metal roofing.  He was told he didn't have a permit for his structure and he needed to take it down.  He said show me where there is any thing any where in the town codes pertaining to regulations for stacking wood piles...there wasn't, and his wood pile was still up 20 years later when we got the property ready to sell after he passed away. We got a good price for that nice dry wood.

Not artistic, but a creative way to give a Bronx cheer to all the petty bureaucrats at Town Hall and keep his car clear of snow and ice. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Still wearing shorts and t-shirts in the house in winter??

DJ

LOL. No far from it. My thermostat stays at 70 F these days. Gas has gotten a lot more expensive. Also now our government has tagged on Carbon Tax to the gas bill. Another tax scam. See? There are many reasons I miss my wood heat source.

@Worden18 we too have in floor heating. It is awesome. I love it. My problem is the fuel source is natural gas. I have no option to earn free fuel. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Day after Thanksgiving:

Drove the EcoDiesel to a nearby tree farm. Took my little chainsaw with and we cut down our own tree.  After they wrapped up the tree and loaded it in the truck, we stepped inside for some hot apple cider and cookies.  The old Studebaker truck: they had just pulled it out of the woods this year to use as a display. There is no engine or transmission in it.

IMG_20181123_120318891_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20181123_120103307_HDR~2.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:32 AM, keithb7 said:

LOL. No far from it. My thermostat stays at 70 F these days. Gas has gotten a lot more expensive. Also now our government has tagged on Carbon Tax to the gas bill. Another tax scam. See? There are many reasons I miss my wood heat source.

@Worden18 we too have in floor heating. It is awesome. I love it. My problem is the fuel source is natural gas. I have no option to earn free fuel. 

no in floor heating...but I do have my hydronic heat system up and running tied into my central ducting....best move ever as I do not dare trust heating this 110 year old house using the chimneys of yore...unit sits away from the house and chimney fires are now of little concern.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jan. 11:

Used the '18 Ram EcoDiesel to haul my '48 to a friend's shop.  He owns many buildings, and the one I'm hauling it to is an old gas station.  Has a hoist in one stall.  He gave me a key, which I didn't expect.  I will probably work on the truck there until summer, then bring it home.  It's 5 miles from my house.  This building is where I departed from.  This is where we got the '48 running.  

EcoDiesel pulled with ease.  Getting up to speed it shifted at 3k rpm, and once at 55mph it stayed between 1500 and 1800 rpm.  Up slight hills it would downshift a gear up to 2k rpm.  Averaged about 18mpg towing. ?

IMG_20190111_101506689_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20190111_101525331_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20190111_101548875_HDR~3.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

You own a ‘48 Dodge? Nice truck!

I love the split 2 piece hood! 

I have an old  Mopar truck stuck in my head too. Maybe someday. I would love to own one. If the right one comes along, at the right price...

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I had a huge house on a lake.  The ONLY heat we used was 2 Earth stoves.  From December till March we HAD to cut a full load per 'WEEK'.  A load at my house was a pickup and trailer heaped up to the last chunk wont stay on.  Pickup 8' box heaped up taller than the cab, Car trailer with 18" sides all around heaped 3 and a half foot tall.  Never owned a splitter so all the big wood carried around the house to the split pile with a sledge hammer and wedges.   I dont miss that house too much. Neither do my kids who normally helped me unless they were busy.  They were busy a lot.  Not much storage so the day the last came out you HAD to go cut wood, even in a blizzard.  A fireplace is pretty but heat producer not so much cause after hours the chimney is open flueing out heat.  I dont care for wood heat any more.  I have cut my last load.  (I took the chimney out of this house so someone doesnt get tempted)  Its hard on  a house.  An outside wood  boiler would work okay.

• Like 1