Ecodiesel Files

Worden18

I’ve never had a nice truck in my life.  Many capable and enjoyable ones, but never a nice one.  So I picked up this 2018 Ram 1500 crewcab with the 240HP Ecodiesel.  Man...what an awesome truck guys.  I absolutely love it!  Anyone else here have one with an Ecodiesel?

1637315E-05CD-42F1-BFFE-2929E58125B1.jpeg

5CAC4B68-AD10-477E-A223-2A83A304BB1A.jpeg

56CE8453-00FF-4D15-9544-2AC669AFDD92.jpeg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 6

My son has one for a daily commuter (about 100 miles a day) - avg about 26 mpg.  A friend has a 4-wheel drive version he uses around construction - 21 mpg.  That's two different guys with lead feet in full size trucks, running the AC and carrying loads.  Both love 'em.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JBNeal said:

My neighbor has the 2015 Ecodiesel, drove him down to Houston and back in May last year when it was steamy af down there, had to load some equipment for him so we were good and sweaty...that truck rode great, plenty of power, and AC seats?!?  HOLY MOLY SWEET RELIEF :cool:

Mine is a Bighorn, not the Laramie, so I don’t have the “cooled” seats.  Those are a nice option.  They keep your butt from sweating!

Edited by Worden18

Very nice! I just bought a "new-to-me"  truck. A 1998 Ram 2500 4x4 extra cab, long box  Cummins 24V turbo diesel. I've certainly got some work to do before I post any pics. LOL.

I need a tow/rescue vehicle!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sept. 1:

I’m behind on wood this year, so I need to get busy.  We have a wood boiler, and love to keep our house at 75 degrees during the winter months.  Anyway, I put the Ecodiesel to work today hauling wood.  I don’t have a trailer, so a friend let me borrow his.  It’s a 16 footer, tandem axle.  It’s quite heavy on its own.  He had some logs on his property that we cut up together and loaded.  Used 4wd getting out of his steep hayfield with the loaded trailer.  I’m happy to say the Ecodiesel pulled the load (we estimated two 8 foot pickup boxes of wet wood loaded) with no problem.  It’s 40 miles between his place and mine, and half that is winding hills that put my truck to the test.  I lugged up hills no problem at 2k rpm (max torque range) and the truck shifted at about 3,200 rpm between the first 3 gears from a dead stop (3,200 is the rpm for max hp-about 240).  I don’t believe I ever went over about 2/3 pedal.  I averaged about 16mpg loaded and 18.5 unloaded.  26.5 with no trailer after I took it back and dropped it off.  It was fun; I’ve never pulled a trailer before of any kind.  Also, it felt good to get a start on this wood and stack it all in the shed.  

9F31D3A5-4306-46A6-A0C4-1FD59121CDE8.jpeg

Edited by Worden18

Pulling that trailer will be no problem for a truck. It’s stopping I would be concerned about.  Do you have a trailer brake controller on the truck ? With lack of experience and proper brakes the trailer  can push you right threw a corner. 

On 9/2/2018 at 9:12 AM, Todd B said:

Pulling that trailer will be no problem for a truck. It’s stopping I would be concerned about.  Do you have a trailer brake controller on the truck ? With lack of experience and proper brakes the trailer  can push you right threw a corner. 

My truck doesn’t have a trailer brake controller.  However, I am very cautious and took it slow to get the feel of it.  Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:48 AM, Worden18 said:

September 1 wood haul: 

You can see here that my truck is weighted down pretty good. 

Winter will soon be on us...and the ant continues to work while the grasshopper fiddles......I like yourself am stockpiling a bit of firewood as I also heat with the hydronic setup (water boiler) this was already cut and free for the taking.  While not a great amount...it adds up with all the other I have stacked for this coming season.  Man states he will bring the splitter into play and we will split the larger stuff so I can load and burn.....and he will set aside his next tree to come down for me also.   I assure you I thanked him for his generosity.

IMG_2237.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Winter will soon be on us...and the ant continues to work while the grasshopper fiddles......I like yourself am stockpiling a bit of firewood as I also heat with the hydronic setup (water boiler) this was already cut and free for the taking.  While not a great amount...it adds up with all the other I have stacked for this coming season.  Man states he will bring the splitter into play and we will split the larger stuff so I can load and burn.....and he will set aside his next tree to come down for me also.   I assure you I thanked him for his generosity.

IMG_2237.JPG

You are right, it all adds up. If it’s just little bit at a time pretty soon you have enough  for the winter.  I’m thinking about getting a wood splitter. Last two years I split everything by hand. It’s just too hard on my elbow and right hip to do that. Not sure I want to put up with that pain anymore.  

3 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

How did your dog turn out?

She is okay.  We switched her to some soft canned food; she’s her spunky old self, has a good appetite, and hasn’t vomited for quite a while now.  Thanks for asking ?

• Thanks 1

When I was towing cattle or the racecar with my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500, I used air bags to level the load....never a problem.

Now I use my Dodge Ram 3500 V10 flatbed for the cattle trailer.  You have the engine, maybe level out the suspension?

Love the idea of a new truck, that 2006 was current year new for me. :)

48D

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a brand new Brave wood splitter last week. It's a 30-ton model. It will split wood in the vertical position as well.  Honda engine.  Now I don't have to swing the axe anymore. Towed it home with the EcoDiesel.

IMG_20180922_131728145_HDR~3.jpg

• Like 1

Nice splitter Worden! I sure miss wood heat. I had a wood stove in the basement of an earlier home. We lived farther north here in Canada where -40 F or Cel, was not uncommon. There was lots of birch, pine, spruce and fir readily available for free. You jsut had to work your butt off to get it home. I was 15 years younger and could swing a maul like nobody's business. I kept about 4 chords of wood ready by easter for the upcoming fall. My wife and our two young boys would head out to the bush for a load together, often.  Our house was so perfectly cozy and warm. We wore shorts and t-shirts all winter in the house. My Dad would come visit and say "Holy crap son, are you making anchors in the basement?" The only thing maybe better was the sweet smell of the seasoned wood burning. The air dead still and crisp. At dawn or dusk at -40 degrees when I was outside shovelling snow. Mmm. I can smell it now. I miss those days.

Today I live in a town where wood burning appliances are banned. No new homes can be built with a wood fireplace, or stove. Older homes cannot install a wood stove. So now I get fat and lazy and pay a $200 gas bill during the cold months.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, keithb7 said:

today I live in a town where wood burning appliances are banned. No new homes can be built with a wood fireplace, or stove. Older homes cannot install a wood stove. So now I get fat and lazy and pay a $200 gas bill during the cold months.

Still wearing shorts and t-shirts in the house in winter??

DJ