Exciting week with the Montana Dodge Boys!

austinsailor

What a week this is. Spent yesterday with the Montana Dodge Boys at their Speedweek party, then today caravaned with them to the salt. 

Tomorrow starts the next level of fun. Firing them up, cars running for records. 

How's this for a young boy's start. The engine builder's son turned 15 about a week ago. Got his driver's license last week. He makes the first record attempt run in the Fast Four car! Holy cow, at 15  I was lucky if I could ride a moped in the yard!

I did bring my 24 Dodge Brothers roadster to drive to the various pits. Figured I'd have more credibility than if I showed up in a Prius!

a few pictures of the parking at the party.

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

Edited by austinsailor
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is that the F headed DeSoto in pic # 4?..........shame those 2 Frods ruined pic # 3............lol..........andyd

Get out their early just before day break. The salt and those mountains it's such a cool place. It's known to those who race it as "The Great White Dyno". You'll see every kind of  engine man has ever built taking a shot at a record and the car shows in the  parking lots of wendover at night are among the best.  Every car guy should put speed week on their bucket list

• Like 1

I'd go but would only drive a car completely made out of plastic?

I went up maybe 40 or 45 years ago, but I still remember the experience well.  It's a whole different experience than drag racing or even road racing.  Our car broke a rocker arm on one run.  The driver brings it back, and my buddy and I dive in take off the valve cover and start to work on it, then we look around and everyone is gone!  We said the equivalent of "What the hell?", and were told that we couldn't run again till late tomorrow, so chill out and we'll work on it after lunch!  A totally different mind set.

Marty

On August 10, 2018 at 11:52 AM, Dodgeb4ya said:

I'd go but would only drive a car completely made out of plastic?

How true. Our first year running our 32 roadster I couldn't believe the rust damage that was done to a brand new car and trailer. Be warned if you bring something onto the salt

I found out how bad the corrosion is when you are there. Washing the salt off a day later is too late.

But fun is fun!

Never been there but have a customer who races a car there and his new Dodge truck took a severe rust beating.Now  he's on his 2nd new truck I guess now.

That would just kick my ass seeing my car or truck starting to get rusty. I hate rusty cars or trucks.... cancer it is.