Mystery hole R10 overdrive

laynrubber

I have a massive oil leak coming from around the governor area on my overdrive unit. I have changed several gaskets on the governor with no joy. Tonight’s test drive was 10 minutes on the highway and the underside is coated again with gear oil. I see a large hole on top, inline with the governor.....what is that hole for !? It isn’t real oily inside the hole but there is oil on top of the overdrive unit. Did I miss a long bolt ? Is it a vent that should have a restrictor ?

what you show in the picture is the solenoid, which does not use a gasket.  The governor, on the other side does not use a gasket except under ifs cover.

as for the hole shown in the picture, I really do not know what its purpose is.but have never had any leakage problems in this area.  Check the long bolt  ar the top.  it needs a  seal.

A small O ring will work.

Correct...the hole above the governor. I tried to load a picture last night it exceeded the size limit. It is a hole right on the top of the OD unit. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MdQyG2xpTSiEofNx5

The hole in question is very deep, and I can’t see in it. I am not convinced it is leaking from there but I am stressed and can’t think. The governor had an o ring and I thought that may have been the problem so I made a gasket and ensured the gov was tight again.....still all wet around the governor base. 

The bolts that mount through the OD unit are dry, I used high temp silicon. The left side by the solenoid and reverse switch are also dry......unless I drive it for several miles at hwy speed and the EVERYTHING to the bumper is wet under there.

Edited by laynrubber

how did you determine where the oil was leaking from? I was just adding oil to mine last night and can't see where it's coming from. It seems to drip down from somewhere and end up on the front 1/2 drain plug.  It also seems to leak a lot after a drive and then basically little or nothing while sitting. 

The hole is smooth as deep as far as I can reach i think maybe 1/2 " diameter, and yes between the speedometer drive and governor on top. OD and gear box are a fairly new reassemble and install...meaning a couple years ago but only recently on the road. Statically it doesn't leak, once moving though....a full under coat of GL1. 

I have a google picture link in one of my posts above. I can't see it being a machine hole for the items you mention as the hole goes forward and above, I wondered if it is a vent that needs a restrictor. In the picture of the grey transmission it looks like a bolt is in the hole in question....I might try and plug it with a rag and go for a spin tonight. I tried some readi rod last night to see if there were threads down inside but caught nothing. Maybe the next size up. As a side note my wife is super growly now too....she says she is done, sell that car....only with a little more colorful language :eek:

Edited by laynrubber

Geez now I want leave work and head home to try plugging that hole with a  bolt or even a plastic plug just to try it. I am under the stress gun for a deadline of departure hopefully using this car. 

10 hours ago, laynrubber said:

I have a google picture link in one of my posts above. I can't see it being a machine hole for the items you mention as the hole goes forward and above, I wondered if it is a vent that needs a restrictor. In the picture of the grey transmission it looks like a bolt is in the hole in question....I might try and plug it with a rag and go for a spin tonight. I tried some readi rod last night to see if there were threads down inside but caught nothing. Maybe the next size up. As a side note my wife is super growly now too....she says she is done, sell that car....only with a little more colorful language :eek:

yeah, i looked at that pic but it's from the wrong side and the arrow doesn't point to the trans a all???

In Paul's first pic there appears to be  white plug, directly above the gov and directly opposed to the speedomenter gear.  Does that look like yours???

In each of pflaming’s pictures it looks like a bolt in the top most hole, slightly forward and center of the speedo drive and gov. I don’t have a bolt in there. Hmmmmm did I forget something.....unfortunantly now I am away from the garage for a few days so now I have to sit and stew about this.

C160FE4D-0B8C-47B2-B247-8A38B0937728.png

Edited by laynrubber

I am sure I will be using a fair bit of colourful language to go along with the socket extensions. 

So the missing  bolt certainly needs to be added but does that  bolt hole go inside the case.....thus an escape route for my valuable oil ?

There is a long  bolt that goes in that top OD housing. The bolt hole also has a beveled recess for a rubber O-Ring to help seal the bolt so it does not leak oil.

here is a couple pics of an original OD showing that bolt and external toothed lock washer.

You can just see part of the rubber O-ring poking out as I un-screwed the bolt...

Overdrive top bolt and case O-Ring recess (3).JPG

Overdrive top bolt and case O-Ring recess (4).JPG

Overdrive top bolt and case O-Ring recess (1).JPG

• Like 2

Well son of a.....My next $10 question is, what size and dimension bolt would that be ? I wonder, does the output shaft/emerg brake drum have to be removed to slide that long bolt into place ?

THANK YOU ALL THAT HAVE CONTRIBUTED.

Edited by laynrubber

The bolt is an important one that helps bolt the OD case to the back of the main 3 speed case.

Yes the bolt can be easily inserted with the Rubber O-Ring already on the bolt into the case hole. I also use Permatex # 1 sealant on the 3/8" X 16 TPI bolt. I'll go measure the length of one here shortly.

Shortly later... the bolt is just under 5-1/2" long..... 9/16" hex head... grade 5

OD Top Bolt  (2).JPG

OD Top Bolt  (6).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Oil leaked fixed, THANK YOU all so much for the prompt and descriptive replies. How did we survive before the internet !?

i am embarrassed I left that bolt out but it was an easy fix. 

I could not take this car on my vacation though, I have to substitute my more realiable Mustang. When I return I will be posting again with another overdrive question. This overdrive installation is making me very frustrated and the Mrs is strongly urging me to sell the car....her words were a bit more colourful ?. I have several hundred miles to think about this....

again, thank you all for the help.