Has anyone ordered parts from rock auto?

Tim Van Pelt

Good place to buy from.

Drop shipments from multiple warehouses can increase shipping costs though.

• Like 1

Never bought vintage stuff from them but for late model drivers they have been real good even for a Canadian with a weak dollar. Shipping was good, pricing.

I'll add another thing about Rock Auto. Their system keeps track of the kind of vehicle you have. Not only does this help with subsequent orders, it allows them to send you messages when they are having a close-out on items for a particular vehicle. I have been able to buy parts for my old cars for pennies on the dollar from them. They are a large company that is constantly buying up smaller outfits and incorporating the purchased inventory. A lot of times, they make an arbitrary decision that they don't want to keep a lot of old stuff in stock, so they sell it on closeout. Because most of this stuff came from existing inventories, it is almost always name brand American made stuff, not newer imported junk. When they ask if you want them to save the fact that you have say, a 1952 Dodge, let them do it. Six months down the road, you may get an email offering a gasket set for $10 or a set of $2 brake shoes. I'll never have to spend retail on any Echkin electrical parts for the rest of my life.

Edited by Tubman
  • Like 2

The gasket in question is made by Fel-Pro. This is the only aftermarket head gasket brand that I would trust. BTW, unlike vintage McCord and Victor copper gaskets, Fel-Pro can be used with aluminum head.

I only had one problem with an order that was a bit difficult to straighten out but other wise no issues.  I will continue to buy from them as the opportunity presents itself.  Beware of the short time that they allow returns though. If you decide you don' need or want something be sure to return it promptly.