Exhaust leak under exhaust manifold

48ply1stcar

While testing my re-built carburetor, I noticed white smoke from a bolt that connects the two manifolds together.  All four bolts were loose and the center lower manifold nut was missing.  I bought a jam nut (shorter in height) that will fit in the gap between the manifold and the stud.

Question: How do I convince my daughter to let my 6-year-old granddaughter to crawl up inside of the engine compartment to start the nut on the stud.  Or, is it doable without a lift.

Jess and family.jpg

Well....I'd be making sure she, the grandaughter, has her oldest, grubbiest clothes on, I would ensure that the car has the wheels chocked, handbrake on and the battery cables removed from the battery, then I'd make sure the daughter was comfortable with this idea then make sure that the grandaughter was also comfortable............cars can be replaced........grandaughters, not so much............andyd 

13 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Well....I'd be making sure she, the grandaughter, has her oldest, grubbiest clothes on, I would ensure that the car has the wheels chocked, handbrake on and the battery cables removed from the battery, then I'd make sure the daughter was comfortable with this idea then make sure that the grandaughter was also comfortable............cars can be replaced........grandaughters, not so much............andyd 

That's a great answer, but when I saw that it was you I thought finally, some one who knows that I'm just kidding.  Andy might recommend a little taste of Forster's before I sent her in.

But seriously folks. I've tried a box wrench with the nut taped on one side and still no luck from above.  Before I get under the car and try, someone might say don't bother and just loosen the whole manifold and retigthed it.  I think that this is one of those times I spend more time thinking about it instead of just re-installing the manifold and replacing the gasket if it tears.

Fosters?......nah......... Tooheys Old is my 1st preference.........lol................but you got me thinking............our 2 grandkids are visiting in a few weeks, will see what I need doing around the place.........lol...........andyd

Well I couldn't put the nut on.  So I just took off the whiole manifold, not sure I'll be able to do it anyway.  I added this picture to show the exhaust soot from the manifold boltnot being tight.  Again something I never checked, because it came from the rebuilder.

intake manifold.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I DID IT

Well I couldn't get this on even by removing both manifolds.  Until today. Didn't jack-up the car.  reached up with my left hand using my forfinger and thumb and the rest of my hand flat on the bottom of the exhaust manifold I was finally able to start the nut.  Hopefully, this will solved my engine running issues.