1937 Plymouth bad fuel sender

dmartin_egroup

My dash unit was showing zero while driving around with a full tank.  I connected a jumper wire from ground to the sender wire that goes to the dash, this made dash unit read FULL.  This meant sending unit is bad, so I removed sending unit.  The cork float is heavy, too long soaking in fuel.  Mainly the sender reads 200 ohms regardless of float position.  Are these senders repairable?  Please, I would like to hear from folks who have actually fixed one with their own hands, not just someone's theory or day dream.  Or, has anyone bought a replacement sender??

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

I replaced mine in a '36 Plymouth but also replaced the tank with a poly unit from Tanks Inc. I doubt a sender can be repaired. My original was pretty crusty and the cork float was water (gas) logged as well. Just didn't look like a good candidate to try and salvage when replacements are available.

9 hours ago, dmartin_egroup said:

My dash unit was showing zero while driving around with a full tank.  I connected a jumper wire from ground to the sender wire that goes to the dash, this made dash unit read FULL.  This meant sending unit is bad, so I removed sending unit.  The cork float is heavy, too long soaking in fuel.  Mainly the sender reads 200 ohms regardless of float position.  Are these senders repairable?  Please, I would like to hear from folks who have actually fixed one with their own hands, not just someone's theory or day dream.  Or, has anyone bought a replacement sender??

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

Depending on the skills fairly everything can be repaired. I have fixed mine in reality and it works like a dream ?, see http://p15-d24.com/topic/42339-plan-b-–-what-if-parts-are-not-or-difficult-to-get/

Edited by PT81Jan

I bought a new one from either Roberts or Classic car auto parts....have to dig through my receipts to remember which.  Came with a brass float....worked perfectly and a quick swap out.  Be sure to take all safety precautions during the install.

Chrysler part # 2240729   is a sender for auxiliary tanks and was available through the 80s and 90s.   It fits and works perfectly with only a float arm adjustment.

It would be worth a try to see if any are still available.  I have one in my 35 and used one in a 38  with good results.

You might want to Contact Max Merrit. He is a Packard dealer that I know can repair these sending units.  Max is located in Indiana near Terre Haute.  I have know Max for over 20+ years and he does great work.

Also do a search on Atwater Kent. They are also making new sender units.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com