Ignition Information needed Please

Labrauer

I am thinking on changing the points out for the pentronix electronic ignition system but have heard different stories on using with the R 10 overdrive unit.  I have heard the interrupt service for the overdrive will not kill the engine for a millisecond for the shift. My car is now 12 volt negative ground and is a 48 Plymouth Flathead 218 if that will help and the distributor number is IAT-4011 #1343554. 

I know many of you have had experience with this type of setup so I'm here to get some reliable information.   

Will this setup work?

Is there any modification I have to do?

By chance do anyone know what part numbers I need to order?

And last is there a such a thing as a 12 volt condenser and a 12 volt set of points available?

As always thanks in advance,

Larry

The only thing I know about pertronix I'sthat three friends have been left stranded by problems with the units. I mopar, 1 MG, and 1 ford.  Don't know why they wouldn't work with an od.  I have my od wired with out the kick down switch, and it shifts fine. I have a push pull switch controlling power to the control side of the solenoid relay, so if I need a quick disconnect out of od,I just kill power to the relay and let off the gas. The switch is located adjacent to the signal switch so it is handy. My understanding f the kickdown is it grounds the points to distributor circuit momentarily creating a brief lag in spark which creates slack in the drive train which allows the sun gears to disengage.

I have the Pertronix igniter with the semi-automatic transmission.  For the upshift, the transmission interrupts (shorts) the ignition, to get  momentarily pause the engine, for the shifting.  I called Pertronix, and they recommended a resistor in the circuitry.  It works.   I don't know if overdrives would have the same interruption. 

So, call Pertronix.

12 minutes ago, greg g said:

The only thing I know about pertronix I'sthat three friends have been left stranded by problems with the units. I mopar, 1 MG, and 1 ford.  Don't know why they wouldn't work with an od.  I have my od wired with out the kick down switch, and it shifts fine. I have a push pull switch controlling power to the control side of the solenoid relay, so if I need a quick disconnect out of od,I just kill power to the relay and let off the gas. The switch is located adjacent to the signal switch so it is handy. My understanding f the kickdown is it grounds the points to distributor circuit momentarily creating a brief lag in spark which creates slack in the drive train which allows the sun gears to disengage.

And if that's the case, you could wire the kickdown switch to a relay to interrupt the voltage feed to the Pertronix unit and achieve the same effect.

Look at the slat six distributor mod and leave the Pertronics out.  Those Mopar distributor pick ups are super reliable, lots of stranded stories with Pertronics.  Couple that with a hidden HEI module and your good to go with a better ignition system at 1/2 the price.  Plus parts are anywhere if it does have trouble.

Adam

Edited by Adam H P15 D30