Windshield, front door gaskets - does it have to be steelrubber

Thomba48

I used And B for my whole car.  The only pieces that didn't fit correctly were the rubber around the vent windows.  3/4" too short and 3/8" too narrow.  I sent an email to them about them ann never received a reply.  Bought some from Steeles.  Haven't installed them as of yet.

Thomba..........isn't there any aftermarket businesses in Europe or the UK who have listings of rubber windscreen rubber, door seals and the like, sure they will be a generic piece but won't have the fancy price ...............here in Oz there are a couple of places that show the profiles of their windscreen & door seals in their paper and on line catalogs...........as I have mentioned in a thread about cowl vent seals I do not have much of an opinion of Steele Rubber and would not recommend them to my worst enermy.........I would strongly advise that you be VERY careful dealing with them...thats all............I'd try Bernbaums 1st...................andyd  

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Thomba..........isn't there any aftermarket businesses in Europe or the UK who have listings of rubber windscreen rubber, door seals and the like, sure they will be a generic piece but won't have the fancy price ...............here in Oz there are a couple of places that show the profiles of their windscreen & door seals in their paper and on line catalogs...........as I have mentioned in a thread about cowl vent seals I do not have much of an opinion of Steele Rubber and would not recommend them to my worst enermy.........I would strongly advise that you be VERY careful dealing with them...thats all............I'd try Bernbaums 1st...................andyd  

Thanks for your additional advice. Europe does not really cater for US cars. Certainly not for cars of our period. So the seach always has to be directed towards US suppliers unfortunately. As to your Steele Rubber disappointment. I am sorry to hear this again. I have now approached various suppliers and shall wait for their response. My issue is with the car being a convertible that it is also different than the standard offerings. But I shall be getting there in time. The gasket and weatherstrip change is a task for the winter anyway. And winters tend to be very long in Munich, Germany ?

Thomba...............what I meant was that whilst some things on the car would be convertible specific there would be things such as door seals and the like that would be a shape or profile  that would be the same as that used on the normal sedan and in fact would be similar or the same as that used on various other brands of cars...the length might be short or long, but they maybe a much easier fit due to being available .........as an example........in the early 70's when I was getting stuck into my Dodge and well before the internet or anything else showing where to get bits from existed I needed front door 1/4 vent rubber...........I noticed that VW Beetle 1/4 vents looked almost the same shape and were available..........I bought them and apart from having to cut new pivot holes they were a good fit and until recently have lived on the car quite well and to be honest, no one has ever noticed that they are VW Beetle.........you have the same problem that we here in Australia face, high freight charges and the currency exchange rate, we also have our government now charging all imports a 10% sales tax on the converted price plus 10% on the damn freight cost that the US Postal Service charges......then of course there is the US suppliers that will only send stuff via Fed Ex or UPS who are even more expensive..................anyway I hope you get what you need ......sometimes you need to think and look laterally............regards, Andy Douglas 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Thomba...............what I meant was that whilst some things on the car would be convertible specific there would be things such as door seals and the like that would be a shape or profile  that would be the same as that used on the normal sedan and in fact would be similar or the same as that used on various other brands of cars...the length might be short or long, but they maybe a much easier fit due to being available .........as an example........in the early 70's when I was getting stuck into my Dodge and well before the internet or anything else showing where to get bits from existed I needed front door 1/4 vent rubber...........I noticed that VW Beetle 1/4 vents looked almost the same shape and were available..........I bought them and apart from having to cut new pivot holes they were a good fit and until recently have lived on the car quite well and to be honest, no one has ever noticed that they are VW Beetle.........you have the same problem that we here in Australia face, high freight charges and the currency exchange rate, we also have our government now charging all imports a 10% sales tax on the converted price plus 10% on the damn freight cost that the US Postal Service charges......then of course there is the US suppliers that will only send stuff via Fed Ex or UPS who are even more expensive..................anyway I hope you get what you need ......sometimes you need to think and look laterally............regards, Andy Douglas 

I understand. That might be a thought. And talking about damn government. Your situation looks just greaatttt.

Any imports to Germany result in 

A. adding the value added tax (not sure what value it adds, but it certainly adds 19% to the purchase price :-))

B. Import duties depending on the type of product, material, the state of the trade war issues currently in place

The only good thing - I do not have to pay for value added taxes in the US ?

thanks for your enlightenment.