Found out today what I am NOT doing with my 50 Dodge

Grdpa's 50 Dodge

My health hasnt gotten an iotta better.  I feel my timeclock ticking.  I WANT to drive it before I die.  I dont have a garage to work in, SOOOOOO today researched a bit and found what I consider a good resto shop.

I emailed and he called right back.  Not seeing it he was making  a SWAG guess but said easy to get to $125,000 with 60-70K of that parts.  Anything can and will take it much higher.

Maybe he was talking 'perfect' 'show winner' and I was talking good driver. IDK.  But one thing for sure is if any shop says they can do that for 50K total run dont walk.

Was watching Velocity Sunday and there was a guy who had a painted car go shop to shop 3 times (Why painted first, dont know) and a truck load of parts bins out of this car and a parts car .  When that new shop (Velocity subject) unpacked all the parts there was only enough parts for about a 30% of 1 car.  Stuff like seats, suspension,gauge innards were ALL gone.  Like the shops needed a part or sold some off and used this guys over 5 year time AND charged him 80K to do it to him.  He loaded up the car and parts and said it will have to wait.  What a deal killer that would be.

I guess I am house hunting some harder.  I was thinking of buying a cheap house and fixing some as well as build a 3 or 4 car garage.  Where I am moving is real small lots, close together so cant drive past house to backyard makes it tough.   And steep up and down hills dont either.  We will see,

Edited by Grdpa's 50 Dodge
  • Like 1

Might want to rethink what your doing and drawing up a list of what must be done to get it back on the road safely. Might be shorter than you think. 

• Like 1

In the past 5 months, and a full time job, I have had time to rebuild the engine, tranny, new rear brakes, a homemade disk brake conversion with dual master and lines. I've done a complete rewire and alot of body work. Being very resourceful I've have done it all for about $2k. All while taking care of 3 kids. I think you should go to a regular garage for drivability issues and some other tinkering maybe yourself. Then enjoy the vehicle. Anything is possible if your set to do it.

My guess-tament based on doing my truck frame off paint little bodywork, new interior, brakes, gas tank etc.

paint 15k, brakes, carb rebuild etc, new radiator, tires etc about 3k add 3-5k for rebuilding engine pulling replacing...Interior for my truck was 1.5k a car might be a bit more. I had this done in Houston. So you should have something nice to drive at about 20-25K  Finding the folks to do it is the challenge.

I understand wanting to get to the finish, tho doing the work yourself is a lot of fun.

Nothing I would like better than doing it all myself.  Thats why I am looking for a house near to my kids and grandkids and LOOKING for a 3 or 4 car garage or bigger.  My kids think I am nuts, just get RID of all that old junk.  I wish to be nearer so I can make all their ball games and recitals etc.  

I was thinking that working in the garage every day would be the best therapy and increase my endurance  some.  Right now I cant walk a block with either my hips burning or back says sit down or fall down.  FIRST thing going in any new to me garage is going to be a big screen TV and a good stereo.  Second thing in the door is Grandpa's 50 Dodge.

I guess I was just struck with sticker shock on the 125-150 K number he was throwing.  In my mind, uneducated as it is, thinking 50K was going to get me along way, but I guess I am too old school.

Better get started I guess, first is getting off a film of sand kicked up from a sand road in the spring when its really soft.  It is stuck like iron on the firewall engine compartment.  Also paint color was that deep dark blue.  Was that Midnight Blue or did I imagine that???  Is that available in a rattle can for engine bay?  

This car has 54 or 58K miles on it first time around so not quite junk yet or doesnt need  frame off to be a good driver yet. From what I have seen is it does NOT have any issues with rust on floor pans or trunk floor.

My biggest hang up is going to be minor body work and painting the outside  that it will really need.  Engine just had fresh rebuild and ready to go in.  What would clean the sand off and where to get rattle can color for engine bay?

• Like 1

I’d try this—cover the engine (and anything else you wanted to protect) with plastic to keep the sand out of it. Then, use a power-washer to clean the sand crud from the firewall/inner fender liners. Once you’ve got that accomplished, use the rattle-can paint you want. You should be able to get a color close enough for the task from any lumber yard, or hardware store. Regards . . .

So lets say you invested the $125000 as a full restoration. The next question is this really worth the investment, is the car a 4 door or two door or a convertble.  So if a 4dr then you will never get your money out of the car convertible maybe  and some for a 2 door.

So now you put 125K into the car then you will be afraid to drive the car becasue you will get paint nicks and sand and dirt on the frame. The car will then either sit inthe garage and then be a trailer queen. So now you need an inclised trailer maybe 5-10K  and then a truck with a V8 to pull the trailor and car So another $30-40K. and figure gas mileage will be low so the other gas costs.

So now you have 125K + 5K + 30K   total maybe of 160K  for a 1950 Cornet.  Really think about this proposal.  Just get the car running in good mechanical condition and have alot of fun and then you do not have to worry about every little ding or dent or scratch when driving down the road.

I see all the trailor queens at Hershey yes they are beautiful but they never are driven on the road on any tours.  Might as well just have a picture hanging on your wall of your car.  Just my 25cents worth.

Rich Hartung

• Like 2

That garage owner has barrett jackson syndrome..........your car will never be a high dollar car worth a kings ransom. When I see guys trying to flip these old chryslers for more than 20,000 I cringe. there are many well finished ones of the same era out there for 12,000 and less.....some even have new tires and shiny paint....lol.

If my dodge was a pristine low milage original it wouldn't fetch more than 10 or 12 tops because these cars haven't caught on with the in crowd yet and real mopar guys are too cheap and smart to pay 45 for a 10 thousand dollar car.

If your pain is too severe sell this one and buy a finished one....there is no shame in admitting your wrenching days are limited. You will find a nice car and save 150,000 in the process. Good luck !