Tstats

I have a ‘47 Dodge WC with a 218 engine.  Are these two types interchangeable?  Can I use the more modern design?  I am doing a water pump and T-Stat replacement before they fail.  Also, can I change the temp to a higher 170 or 180?  I think the longer dwell time would be better for the engine.

3BA065E7-6CA0-43BA-AB94-B867010F9F3E.jpeg

Don,

Any issues with the higher thermostat?  I've been kicking it around on the desired temp and figure they kept it at 160 degrees because the system isn't pressurized.  I see no reason why it couldn't run at 180 degrees.   One other quick question:  the short bypass hose that goes from the Tstat housing to the heater hose bypass housing.  I think this too was original.  The hose was in terrible shape but didn't leak, inside looked like it had a restrictor in it.  Is that OE?  I haven't poked and prodded it yet, so I am not sure.  It could of been swollen from all those years of use and neglect.  One thing is for sure, they did not service these trucks like we do today!  

Al

P.S.  I'm fairly certain my truck had the original thermostat in it, I found a huge chunk of solder laying on top of the Tstat.  

I can't see Don't picture due to the firewalls here at work, but those two thermostats are not interchangeable. The earlier (larger) versions are still available. I've even seen an adapter that makes the newer version work in the older housings, but I don't have any info on that.

The bypass hose is certainly in bad condition, and I believe the "restriction" is just scale buildup. And I wonder if the "solder" is remnants of some stop-leak that was added at one time.

• Like 1

As Merle said the hose should not be restricted. I have no issue with the 180 degree thermostat but I also have a new 3 core aluminum radiator that is much more efficient than the original radiator. If you have not yet done so I suggest you remove the water distribution tube and clean or replace it. Also remove all the freeze plugs and flush out the block.

• Like 1