'58 Ute - Rare?

TheGreatGazoo

So my stepdad told me about this Dodge that was similar to a Ranchero style body. The owner of the car said that they made about 75 of these for the "surfer" crowd in California. This car is located somewhere in Northern California, but since my stepdad has dementia issues, the exact location is not known today. However he did give me this pictures that he took at the junk yard. Looking at the pictures of the tailgate and the B-pillar, it does look factory rather than a hack job somebody did on another body style.

Has anyone seen this before and do you have any further information about this? I couldn't find anything

Edit - I believe he said this was a '58

58 Dodge 1..jpg

58 Dodge 2.jpg

58 Dodge.jpg

Edited by TheGreatGazoo
Added info

Hmmm.......interesting.  Does look a bit better than home made versions.  Looks like a 57 or 58 body style.  The curved top

tail gate looks rather professional.  This is the first time I've heard about such a vehicle.

Interesting conversion, it certainly looks a better job than some of the pics I've seen over the yrs of various US "home made utes"........the rear roof overhang is very similar to what I've seen the 57/58 USA Ford Ranchero to have............I haven't a pic handy but the 1957 to 1962 Australian Chrysler Royal Wayfarer Ute had the same style of rear roof overhang and inset rear window although these design features would be more in keeping with what would have to be done to accomodate the Ute conversion than to be anything else............when i saw these pics I first off thought that maybe this was a funeral flower car conversion and still think it could be but weren't these flower cars mostly upmarket cars like Buick, Cadillac and in mopar DeSoto and/or Chrysler?..........the tailgate looks like its just the trunk lid without the horizontal area, albeit a very professional job..............andyd     

Northern California. Hmmm. I wonder where and if it still exists. What a mystery. Could be down the street from me. (Or sadly enough it could have been consumed in any of the numerous fires we’ve had over the last few years)

I'm going to see my stepdad in a couple of weeks. I will see if I can get some more details from him in one of his more lucid moments. I'll try to snag the original pictures too. These were taken about 15 years ago. I remember he said the car could be bought but the owner wanted an outrageous amount because it was so "rare". I don't know how much of what the owner claimed to be true, but I couldn't find anything else out about this car (truck?) so I thought I would join this site and see what folks much more knowledgeable than I might know. I see the chrome rear window molding, the bedside molding, rear tailgate, etc. and it looks so factory to me.

Gazoo.........more info and pics would be really good..........its surprising tho' what bits could have been used, whether in a factory or other conversion......... the tailgate for example maybe based on a wagon tailgate, the rear window molding possibly from a pickup, the doors look like hardtop doors,  etc.........its intriguing to say the least.............andyd

Edited by Andydodge

That is most likely where it originates, Bob.  Independent coach builder and/or customizer found something that was popular and made a few.  Could even have been someone who specialized in funerary cars, saw a market for a lower priced "unique" car, so they used Dodge.  Although I have seen "plain old" Dodge hearses and flower cars.  There may be some badging on it somewhere that could shed more light if Gazoo can find better photos.

I'll see if I can arrange a time with my mom to Teamview into her computer and retrieve the original pictures and see if there are any others. Those pics are small that she sent me via email years ago. They were taken with a Kodak digital camera about 15 years ago so the resolution isn't going to be the best.

I like the idea of an independent coach builder doing this. That tailgate certainly looks unique with its gentle curve. I've seen pictures of the '58 Dodge station wagons and they are all straight across with no curve. I just noticed the bumper, rear lights and side trim appear to be the same as a Custom Royal Lancer after looking at some pictures in books and online.

I'll update when I can get some more info for you folks. I'd love to see somebody pick this car and restore it. I've thought about it off and on over the years since my stepdad told me about it.