Battery relocation 39 Plymouth .

cole18cars

I'd suggest try to find someone with a 1941 onwards Mopar as they have the battery in the engine bay and it would give you ideas or maybe obtain an engine bay panel with the battery box and modify that to suit your 39 Plymouth........I moved the battery from under the seat in my 40 Dodge to the trunk and built a battery box that is inset into the side.......this is a metal box with rubber lining and is also vented into the wheel arch, is on the right side of this pic..........works well...........basically you will need some fabrication skills, there are no "1939 Plymouth battery relocation kits" available.......its up to you....................andyd 

P1000810 (800x600).jpg

• Like 1

I have a 39 Desoto so the two inner fender shields on the driver side woud have to be modified to support the battery also on this side of the car is the headlight junction box and that would also have to be rerouted.  i have had my 39 desoto for over 30 years with the battery under the front seat and the battery is located directly under the drivers side of the car.  i not had any issues with the battery being in its original location. The only thing that I suggest is that you have the  battery box lid on top of the battery  to prevent the seat springs from making contact with the two posts so toprevent the shorting og the electrical system.  If it has worked for my car which is almost 80 years why move the battery?

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

1 hour ago, cole18cars said:

The only reason to move the battery  is I need to remove it during the winter. I thank you for opening my eyes, the trunk has more than enough room versus the engine compartment. Thanks.    

I put a trickle charger on mine when i have the car in the garage and this keeps the battery up. I have attended the AACA annual meeting in Philadelphia and there has been several lectures about battery life and the recomendation is to have a slow trickle charger on the battery at all times and this willalso prolong the life of the battery and helps to stop the removal of the lead plates surface material. i have had a battery last 5-8 years while doing the recomended process and i do not remove my battery inthe winter time.

Plese contact me and an I can explain in more detail.

rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

The other thing to consider is that my car is a hotrod, V8 and converted to 12 volts...........that blue battery cable runs to a battery isolator switch that is mounted on the console and is always turned off when ever the car is parked or in the garage without exception......if your car is still 6 volt then I would leave the battery where it is under the seat and install the trickle charger setup as well as a battery isolator switch if possible.............andyd

Hi,

I have a '39 Plymouth with the battery under the seat. It's a minor pain and time sink to open and close it up. Is there any reason not to connect a trickle charger to the starter connection (nice big fat battery cable to battery negative terminal) and ground to the engine or frame instead of directly to the battery? The car is original 6v + ground.

Pete