Vinyl Plank Flooring Accent Walls

linus6948

Our Parrot likes to shake her food violently before she eats it, I guess she is "killing" it. Since a large portion of her diet is fresh fruit my wife was buying Mr Clean Magic Erasers by the dozen trying to keep the painted wall behind her cage clean. I was looking for a wall covering that could be wiped down easily and stumbled onto a utube video done by Lowes promoting the use of vinyl plank flooring as an accent wall.

Not far from me is a large auto shop whose owner has a sideline in freight salvage merchandise, from him I was able to get 10 boxes of vinyl plank for $150. I did the wall behind the Parrot with 5 boxes and it turned out so nice the wife wanted a wall in the bedroom done also. I got it done with very little to spare and it also turned out very well.

20180716_150920.jpg

Edited by linus6948

Just a wet-blanket caution.  Flooring materials that do not pose a fire-contribution hazard on the floor can go up in an inferno when applied vertically.  But this is just a house, not a public space or institution.  So just be careful.   

15 hours ago, busycoupe said:

Looks good! Is that self stick vinyl tile flooring or the hard pergo type?   The self stick would be easy to apply.  

This vinyl was Golden Arowana Timberland Oak 100% vinyl and it was not self stick, I used Liquid Nails Mable & Granite formula for one wall and DAP Heavy Duty contractors adhesive on the other. There is also an 18gauge brad nail shot into the groove of each plank at every stud at a slight downward angle.

But I see no reason why self stick would not be fine to use in this application.

https://goldenarowanaflooring.com/

9 hours ago, Grdpa's 50 Dodge said:

Nice,  does that have a definite pattern for install or random like it falls out of the box?

There was no apparent definite pattern to these planks that I saw, but I did as recommended by the manufacturer work out of multiple open boxes at once taking a plank out of a different box each time.