A Wrenching Weekend Of USA Muscle

keithb7

Our closest  life long friends inherited a family car.

The story unfolds like this:

Grandpa bought a brand new car in 1973. A Chevelle Laguna. Then a boy started showing up who eventually married thier daughter. The young man loved the daughter and her Dad’s ‘73 Chevelle. In 1985 the son-in-law finally bought the Chevelle from Grandpa. By now the young man had a few daughters of his own. Today his Daughter is 45 and Dad is ready to let the car go to its new owners.  Our friends. 

They needed help to go over the car and ensure it was roadworthy. We drove 3 hours down a mountain hiway to the Vancouver area where the car was located. 

We rolled open the garage door and  found 5 years of dust, spiders and mice. 

We rolled it out. 

I checked over all the fluids, cooling system, electrical and more. It flashed up easily after I installed a new battery. We went through the brakes, wheel bearings and I dipped the diff oil. 

The engine had been replaced about 10 years ago with a hopp’d up 350. The cam was very aggreassive.  In previous 10 years it had about 500 miles on the engine. 

Wiring problems were rectified with the aid of my multi-meter. Road tests were looking positive. The car cleaned up well. 

My task was to get it up the mountain hiway 250 miles home. I felt pretty confident the car would make it. Sunday morning we headed out. 

At a lunch stop and gas top-up I noticed the engine turning a little slower. Uh-uh. We had a good ways to travel yet. My multi-meter came in really  handy again as I diagnosed a bad alternator. We charged it back up with our support vehicle. We made it! The car is now safely at its new home. 

We had a great fun weekend together. I thoroughly enjoyed working on the Chevelle. A good time was had by all. Our friend’s Dad is very happy that the car will be repaired, well maintained and regularly driven again. 

ABE5C0D7-05B8-4B84-A4D6-9908806D1AF3.jpeg

037865A7-0357-4A0A-80C4-F411595409DF.jpeg

CC0CEE58-2D6D-4F83-B48F-976206B3E463.jpeg

• Like 1