anyone running Lake pipes on their P 15 or d24

thebelvedereman

typically  most folks look at like pipe on a 4 door as an oddity and not truly a dresser piece....but it is your car and such....just stating the many overheard comments at shows and what not...I bought a set  of lake pipes at a swap meet new never used for low money and at this date still have not determined if I will ever use them....as did I also buy a set of P15 fender skirts....and of course the Fulton visor came on yet another car and I removed it.....I have built the business coupe along stock lines externally save for wheels and dual exhaust tips.......some stuff is too overdone.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

typically  most folks look at like pipe on a 4 door as an oddity and not truly a dresser piece....but it is your car and such....just stating the many overheard comments at shows and what not...I bought a set  of lake pipes at a swap meet new never used for low money and at this date still have not determined if I will ever use them....as did I also buy a set of P15 fender skirts....and of course the Fulton visor came on yet another car and I removed it.....I have built the business coupe along stock lines externally save for wheels and dual exhaust tips.......some stuff is too overdone.

well that answers that question then, Lake pipes it is, and I couldn't decide between the singles or the triples now I'm definitely getting the triples LOL

Tim,

With or without flippers on them?

How about the dual spots? 

Eyebrows for the lights?

Almost forgot the dice over the mirrors?

DJ

I forgot about dual radio antennas (on top of your add on's)  Usually in the rear panels.

DJ

37 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Tim,

With or without flippers on them?

How about the dual spots? 

Eyebrows for the lights?

Almost forgot the dice over the mirrors?

DJ

no spots no eyebrows nothing like that, but I might put a giant eyeball and a horn on the top since I named it the purple people eater LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

figured that would sell you on the deal....?.....if you get triples...that's a lot of MOONEYE cover caps.......tell me you are not going to install lakepipes and not go with mooneyes...that is totally unethical...

52 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

figured that would sell you on the deal....?.....if you get triples...that's a lot of MOONEYE cover caps.......tell me you are not going to install lakepipes and not go with mooneyes...that is totally unethical...

and at $35 a piece plus tax and shipping I don't think I'll be getting any Mooneyes covers :)

Personally I like the look of the single outlet pipe, the twin and triples look decidedly overdone although the twins on the Ala Kart suit the time that the car was built........triples just seem a little too much, but your car and you are the one that it has to suit.......also the original style was just a flat plate that was undone on one side and pivoted to open, the caps with names etc also seem a little too much for me............regards, andyd 

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1

mine are singles, I have the MOONEYE covers and the cutouts for the exhaust to channel to the side pipes to dump raw or tone the vehicle a bit .....I have yet to decide on the cutouts and the pipes...the dumps and covers will be affixed such that the pipes looked closed but will be full flow...

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 7:15 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

mine are singles, I have the MOONEYE covers and the cutouts for the exhaust to channel to the side pipes to dump raw or tone the vehicle a bit .....I have yet to decide on the cutouts and the pipes...the dumps and covers will be affixed such that the pipes looked closed but will be full flow...

Hey Tim, you're a man who has everything, do you have any roof racks around for one of these cars??

couple here at the house but they are for my 51 Suburban, either seems to be ok for fit and function but I am going with the second one I acquired......not ever considered a rack for a sedan and even the ones I have here, whichever one used will be a permanent mount to my wagon.......you may get some ideas from doing a search on e-bay using words like vintage and universal as search parameters...few on there now that may be close.....depends on the look you want....VW Beetle may be close to the look size and price for the short roofs....

most roof racks can be easily altered in length and width as they are usually tube style that connect to mounting feet but usually this is only to fit if there is a need to cut...adding length would not lend itself to being easy due to tube style and sizes.  A modern style could be quick and easy to adapt from a number of SUV or vans.  Perhaps a stroll through a local wrecking yard with a tape measure and pad to record size and construction notes will quickly put you onto a workable set up.  

But again, if you looking vintage to the 50's....I think VW still is the most low cost still available in reproduction that looks the part...fit I cannot address...my bud has one on his Bug but that is some 25 miles from here and I rarely see his car.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

a friend of mine recently built this.

if you decide to use lake pipes, it's imperative to lower the car as much as possible to make it look good, imho.

i think his car is gorgeous, but surely some might disagree.

33504003tn.jpg

Edited by Cpt.Fred
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

couple here at the house but they are for my 51 Suburban, either seems to be ok for fit and function but I am going with the second one I acquired......not ever considered a rack for a sedan and even the ones I have here, whichever one used will be a permanent mount to my wagon.......you may get some ideas from doing a search on e-bay using words like vintage and universal as search parameters...few on there now that may be close.....depends on the look you want....VW Beetle may be close to the look size and price for the short roofs....

most roof racks can be easily altered in length and width as they are usually tube style that connect to mounting feet but usually this is only to fit if there is a need to cut...adding length would not lend itself to being easy due to tube style and sizes.  A modern style could be quick and easy to adapt from a number of SUV or vans.  Perhaps a stroll through a local wrecking yard with a tape measure and pad to record size and construction notes will quickly put you onto a workable set up.  

But again, if you looking vintage to the 50's....I think VW still is the most low cost still available in reproduction that looks the part...fit I cannot address...my bud has one on his Bug but that is some 25 miles from here and I rarely see his car.

actually what gave me the idea was the Happy Days 48 DeSoto Suburban,  I always loved that car, yes I've looked at the reproduction VW racks they sell, I'm not sure if it would be big enough, I'm also not sure that I wanted to do it, I change my mind every 5 minutes LOL

rebuilt my wheel cylinders yesterday, took the purple people eater on it's first actual drive today, I've taken it around the block a few times before today, but never driven it any distance because of the leaky wheel cylinders, still definitely needs some more brake adjustment but at least it stops now LOL

20180807_133447-1.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thebelvedereman said:

actually what gave me the idea was the Happy Days 48 DeSoto Suburban,  I always loved that car, yes I've looked at the reproduction VW racks they sell, I'm not sure if it would be big enough, I'm also not sure that I wanted to do it, I change my mind every 5 minutes LOL

changing horses midstream leads to lot of wasted time and money and often stuff laying about that may never get used later on down the road.  I have made that mistake and why of late my projects are on paper as seen through my mind's eye as to final end product and stay focused on that target....I suggest to most all new owners of to those that are going resto mod to visualize you goal on paper and stick to it.  Dare to be different in your build but also be realistic.