Cowl vent dismanteling?

Thomba48

Hi. I need to replace the cowl vent gasket. Ok, not the issue. A new one I have already. Obviously with an attached cowl vent that will not work. So basic question: What is the easiest way to be able to move the actual cowl vent a bit around so that I can replace the gasket. Is it enough to unscrew those four screws that one can approch from the outside through the grill? Or, and do I actually have to unscrew everything from underneath, the linkage plus whatever else screws there are?

thanks

I think, if I remember correctly,, I didn't want to take my vent apart so I simply cut the new gasket right in the middle of the

rear side, then used some trim cement to  make sure it stays in place.  So far, no problems and it is not really very

noticeable.  

• Like 1

I just replaced mine. By loosening the screws I was able to raise the cowl vent on my Chrysler to get enough clearance to squeeze in some weather strip adhesive and  slip it in. Put the screws back in, closed the vent to keep is pressed down into the groove. Still staying down nicely

I did basically the same thing as described by BobT-47P15, but I didn’t cut the gasket. Instead, I just carefully worked the gasket over, around, and then under the lid of the cowl vent, and finally into its channel. The two back corners were abit of a challenge, but by maneuvering the cowl vent’s position, it went in without damage to either the car, the cowl vent, or the gasket. The key ingredient in doing this the way I did was patience, and doctors are known for that trait. Keep in mind that I did this when I was still interested in working on the car. Best of luck . . .

• 9 months later...

I just replaced the gasket on my '41. Loosen the screws accessible through the vent. On the inside is a nut and bolt that attaches the vent to the handle. The rod is serrated for adjustment. The vent is now removed from outside. It was not hard at all. I took it apart because I had some surface rust I wanted to treat before it became a problem. 

I was able to remove the vent cover without any problem, the old gasket was so dry and crumbling  it was like hard dirt. The drain tube was plugged but in good shape I was able to get a .22 cal bore snake thew it after I poked around a bit. it is all ready to go back together but I ran out of light and the mosquito came out in force. I have the new gasket and it fits good, I have some gasket  cement and should be able to get this all wrapped up tomorrow. Glad that I found this blog It was a great help.