Is a Dodge Slant 6 possible in a 38 Dodge rc truck?

My wife wants to be able to  drive the truck too.  My plans were to put the original Desoto 25" engine back in with a T5 standard shift overdrive.  BUT...….. now I have to think "automatic transmission".  I've checked out Wilco and that would work, if....I didn't care about using a GMC trans.  I recall, some years ago, of someone putting in a Slant 6 w/automatic tranny.  I am not experienced as most of you so I could use some Pros & Cons in the suggestions.  By the way, when we had a big Ford van for wheelchair transportation, somehow we went through 3 clutches in 4 years...………………………………..HELP!!!!!!!!!!?      Thanks for your efforts.

Fran

I'm sure there's a probability it can be fitted. I'm also sure there's a myriad of fitment issues that would need to be resolved.  Maybe a conversion to a fluid drive trans from a Pilothouse or newer truck or one of the hydraulic-operated trans from a car, maybe even a Desoto, either one would cushion the effects you may have experienced with a strictly clutch only trans.

Edited by Dave72dt

Since you are not a fan of the gm trans but like the TF idea then help is available, but only if you are not in a rush.

I do make an adapter for the TF but don't have any in stock right now.  

The biggest issue with installing a TF (or any of the gm stuff) is that the adapter is at the block and everything that

attaches to the existing bellhousing will need to reattached to the new trans in some sort of fashion. Lots-o-fab work.

Additionally, you will have to reconfigure some part-throttle kick-down linkage to connect from carb to trans. Without

this linkage you will quickly destroy the TF.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, Dodgefran said:

My wife wants to be able to  drive the truck too.  My plans were to put the original Desoto 25" engine back in with a T5 standard shift overdrive.  BUT...….. now I have to think "automatic transmission".  I've checked out Wilco and that would work, if....I didn't care about using a GMC trans.  I recall, some years ago, of someone putting in a Slant 6 w/automatic tranny.  I am not experienced as most of you so I could use some Pros & Cons in the suggestions.  By the way, when we had a big Ford van for wheelchair transportation, somehow we went through 3 clutches in 4 years...………………………………..HELP!!!!!!!!!!?      Thanks for your efforts.

Fran

Why not bolt a Powerflite trans to the flat 6?

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.   I plan to use this as my driver when I get it done.  I have even thought of keeping the "double clutcher" that came with it and getting a 3.55 rear end.  I just want to keep up with the 65 mpg crowd.  I appreciate your help.  Now, I have to see if I can get access to a Powerflight etc.   Thanks again.

if  you thinking change power plants..go with the earlier Dodge 3.9 V6 with 4 speed A500 automatic and at the same time get the rear end updated...all in all you got a matching drivetrain that would get you to speed, allow both you and the mrs. to drive it....win win.....it is not any harder than the slant six which also puts you at a limitation.....yeah you can pump them up but it is always at a bit extra cost...

The slant six is an awesome engine. My first mopar (73 swinger) had a 198 and I put a worked head on a 225 with headers and a holley 2 barrel on it with 3.73 gears and had so much fun! I would blow up motors, grab a new one off craigslist for $200, throw my good top end on them and be back on the road the next day. 

The slant is supposed to be unkillable but they last longer if you don’t try to break them the whole time you are driving them. Everybody swaps them out for v8s so parts are super cheap and pretty easy to find. 

They were my introduction to the car hobby after learning to wrench building harley motors. 

The slants have a rabid fanbase at slantsix.org- very active forum. 

I understand the v6 recommendation but I always kind of hated the 3.9- it has the same fuel milage as a 318 and way less power. It might be a much tighter package lengthwise though. I just scrapped one complete  throttle body to pan I couldn’t sell it complete running with a transmission- had it on craigslist for $100 for two months...

Oh and the torqueflite 904 behind the slants is pretty easy to set up- you can get an aftermarket cable controlled console shifter for a couple hundred bucks and the kickdown linkage (actually throttle pressure linkage) is neccesary to keep from burning it up but if the mechanical linkage is hard to fit you can get a cable setup for that too that is east to install and fits any chassis. Lokar makes that and a nice throttle setup too.

21 hours ago, Radarsonwheels said:

The slant six is an awesome engine. My first mopar (73 swinger) had a 198 and I put a worked head on a 225 with headers and a holley 2 barrel on it with 3.73 gears and had so much fun! I would blow up motors, grab a new one off craigslist for $200, throw my good top end on them and be back on the road the next day. 

The slant is supposed to be unkillable but they last longer if you don’t try to break them the whole time you are driving them. Everybody swaps them out for v8s so parts are super cheap and pretty easy to find. 

They were my introduction to the car hobby after learning to wrench building harley motors. 

The slants have a rabid fanbase at slantsix.org- very active forum. 

I understand the v6 recommendation but I always kind of hated the 3.9- it has the same fuel milage as a 318 and way less power. It might be a much tighter package lengthwise though. I just scrapped one complete  throttle body to pan I couldn’t sell it complete running with a transmission- had it on craigslist for $100 for two months...

I had one of very first Dakota v6s sold in Tulsa.  Mileage was not good, power OK, not great.  and at about 47k, one cylinder went way down in compression.  Traded it quickly!