gas tank strap welds / OK or bad idea ??

3046moparcoupe

Was looking at my new gas tank straps and the short welds down the sides of the end fittings on both straps looked a little bit sparse. So thought I'd spend a half day and weld them in a bit better, make sure I got some penetration, and them dress them up with my grinder, and top coat them off with some POR-15 gloss black.

Got out my trusty little 110ac flux core wire welder and ran a bead around all four end fittings, then took out the grinder and started cleaning up the welds to smooth them out so I could get a descent coat of paint on  them that has a chance at sticking.

At that point, it hit me,...that it may not have been a good idea to have welded across the area of the strap where the end fitting joint is close to the bend in the strap, (see attached pictures 1 and 2),...I wish my mind would/could move as quick as my body does,...seems like I catch myself doing this over and over,..second guessing myself once somethings done....anyway - this is too critical a thing to guess on or make assumptions about,...

So any of you welding guys out there, with experience - I'd appreciate the feedback and input,....once again, I hope my question makes sense here,...I'll repeat it.

Originally each end fitting (whether it was the threaded bolt end or the bent sheet metal tab end shown in the pictures) had about 1/2-3/4" of weld down each side of the fitting, I came back along and finished the welding down each side, but also welded across the butt end of the fittings where the fitting connects to the strap about 2 inches down on to the strap,....wondering if that last weld across the strap might have not been a good idea in regards to any effects the welding might have on the strap metal itself ??  Especially on the fitting end shown in pictures 1 and 2, where that horizontal weld was about a half inch away from the fabricated bend in the strap...

Thanks in advance for the help..

Steve 

100_5388.JPG

100_5394.JPG

100_5390.JPG